• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How much 3F in your 45 for competition ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just was wondering how much 3F most use for competition shooting in their 45cal rifle

Im pretty satisfied with 45 grain of swiss No1 and .454 Maxiball. Shot my first 3 ragged hole at 50m with that load yesterday.
:results:

Just was wondering how much 3F most use for competition shooting in their 45cal rifle

I don't participate in organized competition but I happen to use 40 & 50 grain charges of Goex 3F at the range and they're excellent...ran off 50 shots just this morning in a .45

just came in from the Asheville Rifle and Pistol Club's Spring BP shoot...I used 40 gr of 3f at 25 yds, 50 at 50 yds, my ball is .440...I was pleased with the shoot...Hank

For the type of competitive shooting I do such as woodwalks, novelty shoots, snowshoe biathalon etc I use about 50 - 55 g of 3f in a GMB with a 451 rb, and .010 patch (compresses down to .008) with either spit or bear grease/beeswax lube. Since I coned the barrel this combo loads easy without a shortstarter.
I think you'll find serious line shooters generally using a lot more powder and thicker patches.

Latest posts

Back