• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to brown a color case hardened lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kugs91

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I browned the barrel on my traditions percussion kentucky and the color case hardened lock really looks out of place. Could I brown over the color case hardening? if not what is the best way to remove it? How do you brown your locks? do you take them apart or leave them together? :confused:

I have never done this, but I would sand to 220 grit to give the browning solution a chance to "bite" into the surface of the lock. Also would strip the lock just for ease of finishing.

get a main spring vise from one of the many suppliers and cock the lock. hand tighten the vise then take it all apart. may have to remove bridal first. good to clean and oil all apart on occasion as well. do not try without the vise unless you are very handy or want to buy a new spring.

Disassemble the lock first.
Blue remover will remove the case color if the lock plate hasn't been lacquered.
If the plate has lacquer on it I usually burn it off with a torch then sand the lock plate.
220 grit is fine.
Once sanded it should take brown.

SC45-70

Back when everyone was using Plumb Brown (hot brown) as the most traditional method of browning, I used it right over the color case hardeing of a T/C lock. I'm pretty sure cold brown will do as well over the color. but, it never hurts to sand it down so that the initial coat gets a good bite. Bill

Why in the world would you want to brown a case-colored lock? Case coloring is beautiful, even when it's subtle.

that's the problem though it isn't what I would call subtle and it isn't the best color case hardening I have ever seen. It sort of looks like a kid drew on it with a few different color markers :(

The color case hardening is just an oxide that can easily be sanded off.

After the color is removed any of the browning methods will work.

Back