• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to handle frizzen rebound

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now if you don't beat the base of the hammer up or lockplate bolster to death or break the shaft on the tumbler, you will be OK. Allot of it will depend on how much you use it. Couple hundred shots a year may not be a issue. But 3000-5000 shots a year, something is gonna give bigtime. IMHO.

When I refer to balanced, I meant the mainspring throws the hammer at ? many pounds of thrust, the flint hits the frizzen & the angle & flint scraps, cam on toe, spring tension, all of that is combined to slow the hammer down so it doesn't WHAM at the end of it's cycle in more thrust than it was designed for. Nutherwords what the flints hits & it's resistance is what is cushioned the hammer to the end of it's cycle.

You take away the frizzen tension, you just took away the resistance = more shock & pressure on the hammer, lockplate at bolster, and tumbler shaft......

A good example is the new MG locks. They cock smooth as glass & the frizzens flip easily too, because the mainspring is light & the frizzen springs as well, and they are balanced to each other.

That is how I see it anyway, I know there are umpteen theories on it.....

Keith Lisle

M&G Lock Co. Now sold by R.E.Davis & Tip Curtis. Has some interesting styles & good assortment of styles. Built by Larry Zorn ? I think it is ?

First thing you will notice on them is they have about a 1/16" thicker bolster than most locks, which gets the mainspring out off the barrel. Another good feature (if I remember correctly) is the flint when set in the jaw evenly actually lines up with the frizzen. :shocked2: You don't see that on allot of them, normally have to offset the flint.
Also when you cock one, the sear arm goes back to the initial on halfcock & on fullcock, which is a nice feature. This means you can set the trigger so it doesn't have but a min. of play at fired position & it be the same way at full cock, thus not have extended trigger travel, etc. And they cock really smooth..... I have used one of them.

A much improved lock from the proto-type I saw 2-3 years ago when they were developing them.

I still use mostly Chambers locks simply because I am confident in them, they have given me Superb service (tho rarely needed) and they have the Lifetime Warranty. For me, that is a Good plus for my customers..... :thumbsup:

Keith Lisle

This is a really good looking lock, early but not huge, no excess banana style, and the frizzen pops way open and lays over far, and early characteristic. This style is probably well above the typical style and quality of export locks normally used by colonials on longrifles. http://www.redaviscompany.com/0980.html

This one is more typical of Germanic export locks and is not different enough from the Siler in my mind to notice without close inspection. http://www.redaviscompany.com/0970.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recall ever seeing a flintlock with the frizzen spring mounted this high in relation to the front "tang" of the lockplate. It would be nice to see a picture of one of these locks, with the frizzen open- as seen in these pictures-- and closed, so I can see how much movement the cam on the frizzen causes to the upper arm of the spring when its closed, and what the cam looks like. The springs certainly look better than most production frizzen springs. The idea of a thicker bolster, and a cock that actually centers the flint to the frizzen is refreshing to think about, too. HMMMmmmmmm. :hmm:

That Davis Continental lock sure looks like a dandy...will have to buy one and install it on an early Lancaster. Thanks for the info....Fred

Yes, to me that is definately a good looking lock too.
If I understand it correctly, MG stands for Mold & Gun Shop & it is the same place & same people that build the Davis locks. It is a real shame they don't all have a lifetime warranty as well, like the Chambers locks do.

Keith lisle

Built a Virginia LR and used a Davis Twigg lock and it functioned fine except the mainspring was weak and deflected in the middle. Never gave a problem though. Yes...if Davis MG locks are as good as Chambers, they should have a warranty the same as Chambers. After buying that Colonial lock, I'll make a judgement....Fred

Back