• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to safely clear a loaded muzzleloader that won’t fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank96

Pilgrim
Reaction score
We have a loaded muzzleloader that won’t fire and I don’t have any way to safely unload it. Is it safe to remove the nipple and put a couple grains of gum powder in the hole and then reattach the nipple to make it fire?

Run a rod down bore until it stops, mark it and check that against the barrel length and you should find out if there is a charge down bore and some idea how much.
Is this an old wall hanger or somewhat modern made rifle?

We have a loaded muzzleloader that won’t fire and I don’t have any way to safely unload it. Is it safe to remove the nipple and put a couple grains of gum powder in the hole and then reattach the nipple to make it fire?
First off, welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina.

How do you know the gun is loaded? Who loaded it? You or someone else? Do you know what kind of load is in the gun?

If you are sure there is a ball down the barrel, get a ramrod with a screw in the end (aka ball puller) to remove the ball. Soak the barrel with lubricant prior to trying to remove the ball to make it a little easier. You also did not mention if the rifle was newly manufactured or an old rifle. If it has been loaded for some time, it may take some effort to remove the ball.

I would recommend cleaning the barrel and oiling it well and using a C02 charge to unload. If a prior owner loaded smokeless in it you don't want to fire it at all so NIX the dryball method of some powder under the nipple. If You loaded and know what's in there that could work. SOAK the powder in a bucket of water for an hour before you screw in a ball puller and start yanking, I see in my mind the muzzle likely won't be pointed in the best area during the yank!

Source a grease zerk to screw in place of the nipple. Grab your grease gun and start pumping grease into the rifle behind the bullet. After it pops out of the muzzle you can remove the zerk and then put a patched jag on your loading rod and push the grease back out of the breech. Clean with a good solvent and get ready for your next shot.

About the easiest, low-mess way to clear a muzzle loader is using a CO2 discharger like this:

https://logcabinshop.com/oc30/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=24787

These will expel the projectile with some force, so I recommend doing this outdoors with a shop towel folded and placed over the muzzle. Point in a safe direction and it will blow free.

Shooting out can work, but you need to be certain that the gun wasn't loaded with smokeless, as others have said.

I am sure all the method mentioned for removing a charge from a barrel will work. I am a powder under the nipple for the cap and ball rifles. Its not a matter of which way is the best its a matter of which one could you use if you were deep in the woods? Do you carry a grease gun, a compressor or any gadgets with you when you are hunting? I don't think so but you will have caps and powder? You also need to know that the more you screw with it and it didn't work makes the job harder for the next guy that tries.
If there is a question as to whether the rifle is charged with smokeless powder or not carry the rifle to a gun smith.Do not try to shoot it out!

I am sure all the method mentioned for removing a charge from a barrel will work. I am a powder under the nipple for the cap and ball rifles. Its not a matter of which way is the best its a matter of which one could you use if you were deep in the woods? Do you carry a grease gun, a compressor or any gadgets with you when you are hunting? I don't think so but you will have caps and powder? You also need to know that the more you screw with it and it didn't work makes the job harder for the next guy that tries.
If there is a question as to whether the rifle is charged with smokeless powder or not carry the rifle to a gun smith.Do not try to shoot it out!
Actually, I have elk hunted with a guy that carried a Co2 cartridge with him up in the mountains. It makes sense considering your hunt is over if you run into such issues and cannot get the projectile out. He pulled that out of his pack after the hunt and got back to camp, then blew out the projectile. It works very nicely and no need in cleaning the rifle. That's where I learned about a how well they work.

IMO, IF one does not know what the rifle is loaded with, or how much, a Co2 cartridge or grease gun is the safest method. If its simply a dry ball scenario, then pulling the nipple and pouring a little powder down the flash hole then shooting it can work just fine as long as the projectile is seated all the way down.

Back