• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunt Diary Australia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last day of my hunt, I had the property manager drop his ten year old son out for a camping and hunting experience. We were all sitting in camp about midday and the boy said, "Hey that's a deer." We turned around in our chairs by the fire, put down our cups of tea and right out in the open a small stag was making it's way back from a small dam just over the rise from camp. I put down my cup of tea and grabbed the binoculars. Immediately the stag stood out as a cull specimen with a huge cleft and very poor spindly antlers. I handed the binoculars to my friend and grabbed the Lyman .54 cal which was still loaded from the mornings hunt.

By the time I got the rifle up to my shoulder the deer had realised he was being watched and was a fair ways off. I hind called to get him to stop and he turned quartering away. I guestimated the distance as being a long way and decided to go for a neck shot due to his body angle.

Standing offhand and unassisted I set the rear trigger on the Davis trigger and touched the shot off. The deer dropped like he had been struck by lightening. I won't repeat what my friend said but it rhymes with truck!

We walked over to him and there was a neat hole one side dead centre of his neck and another neat hole the other. We took a few pics and most of the meat which I cooked up that night with the young fella. It tasted fantastic and was a great way to show a young person where their food comes from.

I ranged the shot with a rangefinder afterwards. 180 yards exactly! Not too bad. I'll add a photo shortly.

That was the end of nearly a month of deer hunting and I feel great. Fit and mentally recharged. Thanks to all who took the time to stop by and share my adventures with me. Best of luck to all of you on your own upcoming adventures!

Cajinga! Awesome animals! Getting really excited about trying my luck in the muzzleloader hunting game!

Very nice shooting, no one hellava shot. You obviously not afraid of snakes, crawling around like you do at dusk and y'all got some bad ones.

Latest posts

Back