• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting clothes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a lot of respect for anybody who wears traditional footwear on a traditional hunt. I don't, and I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing modern boots. A lot can go seriously wrong seriously fast when dealing with the foot, ankle, and environment...

Very impressive pictures Longhunter, thank you for posting :hatsoff:

If you are talking about me as being the "poster" or posting the original question, I in no way meant "modern muzzleloaders". I would not be on this forum if I was interested in anything but 1800s style muzzleloaders.

When I asked about "modern gear" I meant, tents, sleeping bags, stoves. There are several people on this forum that are extremely skilled at trekking, hunting,and camping with 1800s style gear and clothing. Just look at some of the awesome pics that were posted here. Being fairly new to hunting with "traditional" muzzleloaders I was trying to get some insight as to using clothing and "gear" that matched the weapon.

I am sorry if I did not clarify what I meant by gear. I should have been more specific.

I noted the inline but was concentrating on the clothing. Inlines are banned. I was taken by the concept that somehow high mt elk hunting or use of horse makes useing traditional clothing impractical. Just don't find that true myself.
Moccs or period shoes can be slippery in the woods, I used to drink from creek water and wear moccs a field. Today I'm a little more careful. Growing up in the west I found moccs to whisper in the woods. I grew up with the idea that moccs made you ghost like in the woods. Then I moved to the ozarks. Moccs or shoes or barefoot you might as well drive a tank. You can't move quiet, you have to move like a chipmunk. Random without any pattern and lots of stopping and long pauses.

My simple response to finish it off.

Yes, I prefer modern as its more suitable where I hunt, especially FOOT gear.
Allow me to clarify things a bit since you have steered the conversation around to your own benefit....
My initial criticism was not about the clothing you were wearing, but the guns you were carrying.
Since this is a traditional forum and you have no interest in traditional clothing and you post pictures of you hunting with modern guns.......I have to beg the question....
What is your purpose here and in posting such a picture? :hmm:

Nice photos jrmflintlock. I aspire to do some period correct hunting during this upcoming deer season. Also nice capote. Plan on making myself one of those as well. To each their own but to me wearing/ using period correct gear adds a whole other level of enjoyment to being in the woods.

That picture of Spence looking past the camera with the "thousand mile stare" always gets me.

If that had been in snow I'd have a copy behind my woodstove to remind me of what our ancestors faced.

file-71.jpg

For me this brought to mind Osborne Russell's "Journal of a Trapper." If I recall Russell related a couple of accounts of scaling the peaks of the Rockies to hunt big horn sheep. It is clear from his writing that this was one of his favorite hunts and we all know what kind of terrain big horn sheep prefer. This was in the late 1830's and pretty sure he didn't have any modern gear. These old boys were tough! I venture to say our modern idea of hardships was their everyday reality. I admire the way of life of the mountain men and long hunters and if I can experience a little of how they did things at the price of a little discomfort and maybe an unfilled tag then for me that is just fine. Just depends on what you are after out of the experience I guess.

To each their own but to me wearing/ using period correct gear adds a whole other level of enjoyment to being in the woods.

Very true! But it is also much more than that.....
whether I start my wood stove using a flint and steel, wear just my felt hat when hunting, drink my coffee from a tin cup, use a capote as a housecoat/snuggy, read by candle light when I don't have to, cook a 18th century recipe, curl up on the couch with a wool blanket, etc...... It all connects us to the past and brings a simple enjoyment to whatever it is....

Stumpkiller said:
That picture of Spence looking past the camera with the "thousand mile stare" always gets me.

If that had been in snow I'd have a copy behind my woodstove to remind me of what our ancestors faced.

file-71.jpg

It's an emotional picture....It captures cold, tired, hungry, frightened, angry, and despair, all in one glaring gaze....... :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Wow. Art is in the eye of the beholder. I see early morning, cool but comfortable. Looking in awe at the dawn, or maybe the sunset. I see peace and joy :idunno:

I see: I've been sitting here since 3:30 AM, I am cold, my butt has completely fallen asleep on me, my lower back is cramped to high heaven, and I haven't even SEEN one freaking deer yet :cursing:.

Been here since 3:30, sun coming up it will be warmer now. Ummm, backs sore I bet it will be stiff when I stand up. Ain't that a pretty sunrise. Birds hopping in the trees, tree rats jumping on the ground. Sure smells nice. Love sun up. Thank God I'm here. Wait...wait is that a deer walking it the brush? It should be popping out of that line. That's not a squrile, move slow grab the gun, heart beating, resp rate up, funny I'm not cold now, back feels better. :grin:

tenngun said:
Wow. Art is in the eye of the beholder. I see early morning, cool but comfortable. Looking in awe at the dawn, or maybe the sunset. I see peace and joy :idunno:
I gave it an 18th century context and "pulled" everything from it I could, but only the artist knows what he was thinking.... :grin:

Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
I see: I've been sitting here since 3:30 AM, I am cold, my butt has completely fallen asleep on me, my lower back is cramped to high heaven, and I haven't even SEEN one freaking deer yet :cursing:.

I guess I should also add: And I wouldn't rather be anywhere else. :grin:

What I'm talking about is that Colorado posted to you about your picture (taken down by now) that showed you using a gun that is not allowed on this forum. That is where I noticed you and Clyde starting your disagreement.

Nope, my comment was not intended for your posts. It was a comment about the back and forth between two other posters. Sorry if you took my comment as directed to you.

and wouldn't have it any other way,cold,wet, borderline miserable,I'am staying and will be back tomorrow,cause just as soon as I move I'll spook a monster buck that is trying to out wait me...

Back