• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting clothes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stumpkiller said:
This is Carp in a nice greatcoat and me in another frock.

HPIM0382a.jpg

Ha ha, Its not often I see Brian not wearing a kilt or tartan!

I forbade him wearing the kilt as the sight of it stampeeds the sheep. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

He hasn't spoken with me since he learned my family has ties to the Campbell's. :redface:

Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir?

my usual squirrel hunting cloths. of course for deer season i put on an orange vest and a big orange bandana on my hat,and warmer cloths.
100_2816.jpg

I have generally worn at least some period clothes unless when jamming a quick evening hunt after work,I often mix or match for comfort depending on weather, and use the layering concept, we do not have to wear Orange here but this year then law states that any0ne under 16, I believe must wear it so I imagine it will only be a matter of time before all will have to wear some the way things usually work, I have accumulated several shirts,leggins, hats, breeches and such so I can make different outfits all reasonably relevant to the 1765 period +/- most is wool and linen but some cotton is used as well, in a corser "old timey weave", there is more and more reference to the use of cotton showing up lately as well. I do not get real picky about the fine details of many aspects of the gear used in the re-enactment part of the hobby, I just do not operate at that high of a level and quite a few people take this approach with clothing even if their guns are more "finely tuned" to history.

newcameratest093.jpg

or
P9010034.jpg

one more
hunt2.jpg

Here's what I wear for deer hunting. I wear camo because I have it and I do a lot of my hunting out of a deer stand and I believe that camo is more necessary in a tree rather than on the ground where you can get away without it.
PB180223.jpg

So far all of my deer hunting has been done in modern clothing. Sometimes I have dressed period to go squirrel hunting. I might try period dress for the early deer seasons this year if I can find the right Blaze Orange upper body garment. :idunno: Waiting to hear back from a guy...

I pretty much wear the same thing, bow hunting, muzzleloader hunting, with more under layers for the cold, and an orange vest if I'm not hunting on my property.
DSCN0067.jpg

Robby

"You're a dandy in that first pic!! "

Oh yes! I finaly shaved,cleaned up and came to town.

Is there a place that I could buy a pattern to sew my own?

How do you go about finding cloth?

My Father was a tailor for over 50 years, I learned my way around a sewing machine...

Of course a hat and boots are another story!

Last edited by a moderator:
Luie! Put the kolaid down and step away from it! We killed a lot of deer back in 60's, 70's and 80's wearing black/red plaid wool before the camo fad took over. Sometimes I wonder how today because according to some, you can't hunt without the newest greatest camo pattern. :idunno:

Yea, I know but you gotta remember the deer herd is also getting more educated every day. Again, I'm up in a tree 90% of the time so wearing all the plain clothes makes you really stand out up there so I like to have decent looking camo. I don't ever plan on wearing primitive clothing during a deer hunt. You'd get some real weird looks at the diner for lunch :haha:. When you're wearing plain brown coveralls in a deer stand I've noticed that deer spot you a lot easier. It's happened several times to me.

luie b said:
Yea, I know but you gotta remember the deer herd is also getting more educated every day. Again, I'm up in a tree 90% of the time so wearing all the plain clothes makes you really stand out up there so I like to have decent looking camo.

I've never used a m/l in a tree . . . but done a lot of bowsitting in one.

IMHO anything dark is bad in a tree. At least our local trees. I like a lighter pattern with large "shapes" to help break-up my outline. The old Treebark pattern just looks like a big dark human form from 50 feet off. The newer Mossy Oak Break-up Infinity is my current favorite. (Was Winona Shadow but that's no longer available).

I have had whitetail deer walk up to within feet of me while I was leaning against a tree at their eye-level in 100% blaze orange, and the same in camo. Buffalo plaid is great deer camo (if you look at a B&W image). Blaze is just a neutral gray in their vision (I am lead to believe) and they are wizards at detecting motion but don't have as good a 3-D vision as humans. Deer will also doubt their own vision - or at least show curiosity - whereas a whiff of human scent or the sound of a twig snap sends them squirting off. The old, cagey does are the ones that usually bust me by sight. And yes, they look up. NEVER make eye contact with a deer or they will bug out.

So the key is to minimize movement and mind the wind.

I've had deer walk right up to me sitting on the ground in front of a tree (which side is the front?), while turkey hunting. Wearing woodland camo.

Robby said:
I pretty much wear the same thing, bow hunting, muzzleloader hunting, with more under layers for the cold, and an orange vest if I'm not hunting on my property.
DSCN0067.jpg

Robby
Another dandy.

Robby said:
DSCN0067.jpg

Robby

What I want to know is ... Is that an alien just off your shoulder?

What to you think Swampy? :rotf:

Back