• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting clothes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some camo a few years back for my birthday and I wear that and the mandatory orange. Use to wear period correct (circa 1960 to 1990) duds.

I got a Mossy Oak "care package" of pants, bib overalls and a jacket from a friend that went to all wool & non-camo patterns. I'm not too proud to use free (I lost 45 pounds recently and he found some of them).

I also have a pair of Columbia wool bibs that I really like for hunting. They're camo, but cost MUCH less than Woolrich or King of the Mountain (If you really NEED a $500 hunting jacket). On the other hand, I picked up a red plaid Woolrich hunting jacket off a trade blanket at a bow shoot that is probably 25 years old and has another 25 left in it.

Hey Grmt boy have you not been paying attention? you cannot kill Turkeys without camo.

Nobody said that, tg, when I got out of the military, camo was all I had, and I was poor. I wore camo under the regulation blaze orange, and I was the only one in camp killing elk.
With that success, who would run out and go into debt buying new clothes? I wear as close to period clothing as I want to when I'm small game hunting, because orange isn't required.

Nobody said that, tg,

Yeah they did! Haven't you read any magazine articles, watched any TV shows, or seen the ads? It's IMPOSSIBLE to kill a turkey unless you have the newest pattern camo! (And the biggest magnum shotgun.) :rotf:

"Nobody said that, tg,"

Actualy in the past some have said about as much.I have nothing against camo as such or those who use it but the NEED of it is way over stated at times IMHO

Jethro224 said:
I don't ever plan on wearing plain brown coveralls anywhere in the woods during deer season. Or a white handkerchief stuck in the back of my belt. Or an antler hat either. :shocked2: :youcrazy:
The Pennsylvania Gazette
March 10, 1757
ANNAPOLIS, January 27.

Some time ago, in Hunting Time, a Man in Frederick County, having made himself a Jacket of the Skin of a Deer , with the Hair and Tail on, went out to hunt for Deer , and as he was creeping thro Bushes in pursuit of Prey, was seen by another Hunter, who taking him for a Deer , fired at him, and shot thro'the Skin, but happily did not kill. (It is not improbable but he might wear the Horns as well as the Tail).

Spence

tg said:
"Nobody said that, tg,"

Actualy in the past some have said about as much.I have nothing against camo as such or those who use it but the NEED of it is way over stated at times IMHO

there is an ol' boy named Geryy Blair who is a prominent predator hunter and caller and has written several books on the subject. in one of his books he descibes hunting and taking coyote,bobcat,fox and if i remember right deer,dressed not in his usual camo clothing but a red Santa Clause suit. the point being as TG stated,camo is way over stated.

I don't care what others wear but I will stick to what I do. Yes, you can be succesful without camo. I still choose to wear it because with mine and my dad's experience for certain situations camo helps. I ALWAYS wear it for hunting out of a tree stand and predator hunting.

Once during our antlerless deer season, we had a warm spell with temperatures in the 70's. I went out to check my traps wearing a white T-shirt with the obligatory orange vest and hat, not expecting to meet up with any deer. I was simply planning to run my trap line and be back home in an hour. Well, wouldn't you know it, I ran into a group of does heading to their bedding area and hid myself in a cedar tree to wait for them to pass. I finally got a shot at 25 yards and killed a nice, fat doe ... while wearing a white T-shirt :shocked2: !

Rhett

tg said:
Hey Grmt boy have you not been paying attention? you cannot kill Turkeys without camo.

yup hear that they also say critters can't see blaze orange :bull:
woops can of worms.

Sometimes maybe they just choose to ignore it (10 yard shot). But I do believe turkeys see colors.

009_07.jpg

Stumpkiller said:
Sometimes maybe they just choose to ignore it (10 yard shot). But I do believe turkeys see colors.

009_07.jpg

it's true that ungulated can only see the color blue but I have seen elk bust rifle hunters because blaze orange looks like a out of place light color in the woods.

Don't disagree with that. I spot hunters in camo all the time that just look like big, dark men. But I believe a deer is just as spooked by a moving stump as he would be by a hunter.

Movement trumps clothing.

Greenmtnboy said:
....looks like a out of place light color in the woods.

That sure lines up with my experience on diverse large and small game. It's more the light/dark contrast with surroundings than the color. You could be in just as much trouble wearing dark colors against a light background.

Kinda reminds me of my favorite duckstunt on a particular river. There are a couple of favored resting places about 200 yards apart. If you're on one, they always seem to go for the other. Easy solution is to take an extra coat in the wrong shade and lay out a partially concealed "dummy" in the spot you're not going to be in. If you hide real good, the ducks practically fall out of the sky to land in your spot.

I've used the same strategy to "funnel" deer up my side in a place where a draw splits in two and the deer have their choice of which to take. Dirty, dirty trick, but it works well enough to earn a merit badge. :rotf:

BrownBear said:
Greenmtnboy said:
....looks like a out of place light color in the woods.

That sure lines up with my experience on diverse large and small game. It's more the light/dark contrast with surroundings than the color. You could be in just as much trouble wearing dark colors against a light background.

Kinda reminds me of my favorite duckstunt on a particular river. There are a couple of favored resting places about 200 yards apart. If you're on one, they always seem to go for the other. Easy solution is to take an extra coat in the wrong shade and lay out a partially concealed "dummy" in the spot you're not going to be in. If you hide real good, the ducks practically fall out of the sky to land in your spot.

I've used the same strategy to "funnel" deer up my side in a place where a draw splits in two and the deer have their choice of which to take. Dirty, dirty trick, but it works well enough to earn a merit badge. :rotf:

ya that a good one, we have deer in our yard every night, if I change somthing in the surrondings they get all goofy and go around the object nervously.
:shocked2:

Back