• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Geese

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Came across this hunting cartoon in an English 1860 newspaper , thought it rather a musing
Feltwad

Boy, that sure makes it clear that the cowboy sport of "yarning" greenhorns predates the cowboys and applies to visiting Continental sports! Reeled him in hook, line and sinker! :rotf:

Watched a lot of bald eagles fishing here in Alaska over the last 40 years, and bald eagles are a lot bigger and stronger than geese. And an eagle is likely to somersault head first into the water if it tries to lift a 5# salmon. And that's with a heck of a lot of momentum to help with the lift. The thought of 17 geese lifting a human 30' off the water confirms to me those geese were lined with horse feathers rather than down. :hatsoff:

Besides that I'd guess it would take the eel several hours to pass through each goose, so the guy would have been laying in his canoe a couple of days to get all 17 on a string.

Has anyone ever told you about jackelopes? They're very common down in the land of cowboy tall tales. :wink:

BrownBear said:
Watched a lot of bald eagles fishing here in Alaska over the last 40 years, and bald eagles are a lot bigger and stronger than geese.

I agree with your post in general but a bald eagle is not as heavy or as strong a flyer as a goose.

I found a bald eagle tangled in fishing line at the edge of a slough. I had to place a tarp over him to be able to free him without damage to either of us. I was amazed at how light he was .. not as heavy as a good-sized rabbit. I would guess his weight at 4-5 lbs. max.

I saw another swoop down and catch a cattle egret which weigh almost nothing. He could not gain altitude with it in his talons and had to do a "parachute" descent to the top of a tree.

Back