• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting in Iowa

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck-ia

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking forward to late muzzleloader here in Iowa. Season is Dec. 19 through Jan 10. Shotgun seasons start next Sat., a good time to stay out of the woods. Talked to a few people who are going late muzzleloader and most of them are group hunting, in other words 5 or 6 guys get together and chase deer. Talked to some former shotgun hunters who decided to get muzzleloaders and and go late season muzzleloader season, I don't see that they are gaining much as they still hunt the same way, (deer drives). Oh, and these are not your typical sidelock muzzleloaders, they do load from the front though, need I say more? I guess there is nothing wrong with hunting like that, not for me though. I like going out by myself, or with a friend, or 2 friends at the most, in different locations, either just sit, or maybe even work our way towards one another, this will take hours. Usually it is just by myself though. What a feeling to see a deer walking closer to my position, stopping to nibble on this, rub its head on a bush, not knowing I am sitting on the ground with hammer back, trigger set, just waiting for a perfect shot. Just don't see the excitement stumbling through the woods at a fast pace, knowing if you get a shot, it will probably be a running shot, also hoping the guys who are posted ahead don't shoot in my direction. Different strokes for different folks I guess. flinch

flinch said:
What a feeling to see a deer walking closer to my position, stopping to nibble on this, rub its head on a bush, not knowing I am sitting on the ground with hammer back, trigger set, just waiting for a perfect shot.

Same here and I know exactly what you mean...interesting story to share you'd probably like.

I had just sat down on the ground at the base of a tree a couple weeks ago when it was still so dark I could hardly see tree trunks yet...facing East with an ever so lightening sky and a faint breeze in my face.

Hadn't really finished getting myself all settled down and in place when I happened to notice the outilne of a deers back slowly moving from left to right through the trees not 25yds out in front of me.

I froze, flintlock is across my lap, and I don't have a hat on or collar up or anything...he takes a couple more steps then stops and turns his head looking right at me...all I can see was his head, ears, and a big rack sharply silhouetted all black agains the fainest bit of lightening sky in the east.

I didn't blink an eyelash...he stared I assume at my white shiny face for at least 30 seconds...then started stepping on along...after a few yards he got to an angle where I could see his whole body silhoutetted against the sky, and he was close enough to shoot even without being able to see the front sight...dropped him in his tracks.

That's the kind of 'rush' that keeps me going back...I never got that feeling looking through a scope at a deer 200 yards away with a .30-06.

But I get it every time when they're so close you can see their muzzle whiskers, or their breath, etc...still don't know why this one couldn't hear my heart pounding!!
:thumbsup:

I hear ya, too. Am also an Iowa m/l hunter, still hunting, only. Using 50 cal., TC Hawken, already got 1st deer during early m/l season. Will be going back out for shotgun season, a week from tomorrow, but using Hawken. With Iowa tag limits so lenient, I will be also hunting during late season, special late, and bonus late. I purchased 5 tags this year, and could get another if I wanted. Great being able to hunt from mid Oct. through end of Jan.

I assume most of your tags are antlerless? I waited a little too long on the antlerless tags, (sold out). I was able to get a late muzzleloader liscense, and thats all, unless I bought a bow tag. flinch

flinch said:
What a feeling to see a deer walking closer to my position, stopping to nibble on this, rub its head on a bush, not knowing I am sitting on the ground with hammer back, trigger set, just waiting for a perfect shot. Just don't see the excitement stumbling through the woods at a fast pace, knowing if you get a shot, it will probably be a running shot, also hoping the guys who are posted ahead don't shoot in my direction. Different strokes for different folks I guess. flinch
A guy was shot just south of me by someone in his own party while driving deer. Killed him. I feel the same way. I donate my 270 winchester to the Ruffed Grouse society banquet a year or so ago and never regretted it since. Its 50 caliber prb and real bp for me from now on. I do not bow hunt but like deer hunting so bp was perfect

Hello All, I am hunting 2nd shotgun, all alone sitting on ground. Closest shotgun hunters are across the river. And guess what? Deer can swim, right across the river giving me ample opporutunity. I normally hunt late ml, but found some private ground away from all the commotion. I also have an anterless for 2nd shotgun, and antlerless for late season . I like the solitude and ability to relax from everyday life. Good luck to you all.
mothernatureson

Back