• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting in period clothing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul63

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just curious how many hunt in period clothing? My wife thinks I've bumped my head repeatedly, but I see it as part of the enjoyment of the hunt, hobby and history.

I dont but I think it would be cool to do so. I do have a couple longhunter shirts that I wear occasionally though. I love to see the pics of guys in their period finest :thumbsup:

I have not yet, but I just started to take hunting with my flintlock seriously. So I will this fall/winter for sure.

I have, but not as a general rule. Though . . . I guess if I am hunting with the period of 1980's office worker from Upstate NY I am still artfully recreating the era even when dressing in my "modern" duds.

I also wear some Blaze Orange if out during regular season.

HPIM0386a.jpg

Stumpy.jpg

I have......But not always....It most certainly adds to the enjoyment....
It is often difficult to do for deer hunting because of the regulations......But squirrel hunting!.....Now we're taking a trip back in time......

I would also add that, Clothing takes a lot of abuse...when hunting. Given that hand made period clothing doesn't grow on trees.....I am very discerning about wearing it.....

Like Stumpkiller, I used to but am reluctant to any more...too many fence jumpers who shoot at anything that moves! many years ago I put the spook into a guy by suddenly showing up in his vision in the Davy Crockett national Forest. I seemed to think Davy Crockett just suddenly materialized in front of him. All fine back in the late 60's but way, way too many shoot-then-looks in the woods now.

Wes/Tex said:
Like Stumpkiller, I used to but am reluctant to any more....

Same here, at least during the muzzleloader season. That is, I did so until a couple of times I scared my hunting partners senseless.

Turns out my capote is the zact same shade of brown as our bears. Popping out of the bushes was either going to make me put a CPR liplock on one of them, or they were going to shoot me to prevent it. :shocked2:

I'll go back to it with some strategic color changes. From what I saw in the span I did it, there's lot to learn about using the old ways to stay warm and dry. I'm game.

I always hunt in period clothing. The period I chose was the mid 1970s. I wear camo from that era and often a canvas hunting coat from the 1960s.

Probably 50/50. I even had a custom capote made of "orange" for gun season.

I don't know that my outfits are 100% period correct...in fact I'd be more willing to bet they are not, but they are representative of 18th to early 19th century.

I don't do it just for historical reasons. I've found my period clothes, especially various wool garments, to be comfortable and highly effective in combating wind and cold. So they are just plain good hunting clothes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to as much as possible! I am still Far from HC/PC but I am working on it. A lot of it depends on where I am hunting. Really Rocky terrain is hard on my feet. And Blaze orange does not really come in wool or Linen.

I figure as long as the patterns and styles are correct, you can't tell its not linen or wool it still looks cool! At least to me.

And I enjoy my time in the woods dressed that way and carrying a flintlock by 100 fold!! Even when cold and wet!

But I always have a plan for survival in case of emergency. While I would not mind dying in my duds, and being found like Hatchet Jack, my wife would be ****** at me for all eternity!!

When hunting with a Muzzleloader, I wear the clothes and add a mesh blaze-orange vest (for safety and is required in MT).

Me too, and the only time I hunt I hunt with ml. Since deer hunting for me is to find a game trail and then a place I can hide along the trail and wait. I only wear orange until I find my nest.
Since I don't want my head on some ones wall I wear the orange on the move. When I settle under a cedar tree or in a top of a fallen tree I pull off the orange. After a shot I really the orange and head to fetch my game.
Small game I'm just in my period outfit with keys wallet and cell phone in my pockets, and a first aid kit in my possibles bag along with a snack and fire kit.

tenngun said:
I only wear orange until I find my nest.
Don't know about other states, but that's not legal in Kentucky. You are required to wear orange all the time you are in the field, including on stand.

Spence

Thanks for the many replies. Orange at all times is required in my state as well, so with that in mind I'll be putting my florescent orange Voyageurs hat into use.
Even on private ground around here orange is paramount for safety ,as the fence jumpers are everywhere. :cursing:

Might be here too, :idunno: I hide pretty well and think if I heard a game warden comming I would have time to get legal. Would never be in the open without it.
I know this is no excuse but in near 45 years of hunting I have never seen a game warden in the woods, never once been asked for a lisense

tenngun said:
I know this is no excuse but in near 45 years of hunting I have never seen a game warden in the woods, never once been asked for a lisense
Well, so long as you aren't caught being illegal, never mind if you are caught being dead.

Deer can't see the orange, what's the problem with wearing it on stand?

Spence

IMO, wearing it while one is on a stand is just as important if not more important than wearing it while walking.

Without wearing blaze orange another hunter can look downrange and see nothing that looks out of place so they take their shot.

"Honest officer. I lined up on the deer and looked behind him and I didn't see anything but browns and greens. Nothing that looked human, so I fired.

You say he had a blaze orange pullover in his back pack? How the hell was I supposed to see that?" :hmm:

I've been asked for my license a couple times. The warden was waiting by my vehicle for me to come back to it.

A couple times, at the end of the day, I've been stopped coming out of a prime waterfowl marsh on the only access road available.
Twice, DNR have landed their float planes to give me my own private check outs. Once while fishing & once while moose hunting. Both were on week long fly-in camping trips.
I was always legal.
Paul

Back