• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting in the rain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gametracker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Never heard Kap Kovers mentioned on here. Are they considered nontraditional or are they just not that effective? Anyone use one or do most of you simply avoid hunting in light rain? I'd like to hear some of your tricks for keeping a dry charge.

I have hunted in pouring rain and freezing rain, and snow with a percussion and I can say they can be 100% water proof. One time in freezing rain, by the end of the day there was a sheet of ice covering my rifle, (a "sporterized" Zouave) and although I had kept the cap and hammer area clear of ice, it was totally soaked. Usually I don't fire off my rifle at the end of the day, but figured this would be a good time to do this. She went "bang" totally normal, but all the ice shattered off at the shot!! Wish I had had a video of that!

Anyhow, IMHO a tight fitting cap will keep yer powder dry. I've never used a kap-cover, but if they have to be taken off before you can fire....?? If so that would kind of rule them out for me.

I have carefully put a little bee's wax on a musket nipple, and then seated the cap, being careful that none got up into the cap or IN nipple. With a #10 or #11 type cap one could seat the cap, and then put some wax around where the skirt of the cap meets the nipple. Can't imagine how that would be anything less than 100% water proof. Should be able to lay the gun in the bathtub, take it out and fire it.

I think that many times when people believe the gun has "drawn" moisture into the main charge, what really happened is that oil was left in the breech, and water had nothing to do with it. A light rain especially should not cause any percussion rifle not to fire, or hang fire.

One thing I learned a long time ago, but people tell me the caps are different now, is that snapping a cap or two to "clear" the oil out, before loading for a hunt, caused a fouling that attracted moisture. In other words, IMHO, snapping caps before loading was causing miss-fires. Again, I'm told that the cap fouling on the current caps don't produce a hydroscopic fouling. But, there's still NO WAY I'd snap a cap befor loading up for a hunt. At the range yes. Hunting no.

Carefully dry all the oil (or soap suds) out of your breech and flash channels, and use a tight fitting cap, and don't snap any caps prior to loading for a hunt, (flame suit on) and I believe you can hunt in any weather with your percussion rifle.

Rat

if you're not worried about being traditional try putting a layer of the wifes clear nail polish around the seam between cap and nipple. i usually do this and the only problem is once in a while i have to scrape the nipple off.

I am not sure what "Kap Kovers" are but a few years ago I puchased something that was no more than 1/4 inch long pieces of rubber tubing that fit snuggly over a #11 cap. I used these in wet weather and also found that they helped keep a cap from falling off. I put them on so they covered half way of the cap and nipple. I once took a CVA inline that I had been out in the pouring rain with all day and submerged it in water for a couple of seconds, took it out and fired it. Being a FireFighter/EMT I soon discovered that oxygen tubing is the same size, so if you know someone in the medical field a piece of used O2 tubing will last you for years.

Never heard Kap Kovers mentioned on here. Are they considered nontraditional or are they just not that effective? Anyone use one or do most of you simply avoid hunting in light rain? I'd like to hear some of your tricks for keeping a dry charge.

Kap Kovers are outstanding...not only do they seal perfectly, but they are an additional "safety" as well...I have them on all my percussions

Gametracker,
i've used kap kovers for a couple of years and they have not failed me as yet. i use them whenever i'm in the woods hunting. got mine from www.dixiegunworks.com.
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

if you're not worried about being traditional try putting a layer of the wifes clear nail polish around the seam between cap and nipple. i usually do this and the only problem is once in a while i have to scrape the nipple off.

I appriciate that, but I'll have to drop that as an option. I'm not married, and if I'm ever going to be, there's no way in hell I'll be seen walking in somewhere to buy nail polish! :redface: ::

BTW-thanks for the tips guys

this isn't a traditional solution, but i'm in the army and for years i've used non'lubed condoms on the end of the barrel in bad weather. it keeps everything out and you can shoot right through it.

cav scout,
not to make lite of your suggestion but the moisture we are talking about is at the lock not the barrel.
i'm not sure a condom on the barrel would be PC but i do know it works. at least it did 65-66. that's 1900
snake-eyes :peace: :peace: :peace:

Back