• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting license price and add ons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86marine

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently here in Pa our hunting license went from $20.00 to $20.70 for the base license to hunt ML it costs extra for the stamp,same with archery, for bear its 18.00 extra and for doe its extra. With Pa having one of the highest census of license bought per year. Where is the money going. I haven't seen any development of food plots or the overall habitat on our game lands.

If someone on here is a Pa game commission officer please enlighten me because I feel and alot of my friends feel we are spending our money on just a piece of paper that we don't get our money worth. Not so much getting the harvest but the condition of our game lands and what we are getting for that price and the add ons for each additional stamp.

Where as a state like NC you can buy a hunting fishing combo for 40 even with saltwater, and that doesnt limit you to one season to hunt deer thats archery and firearms. Although I disagree with them running dog for deer. There game lands are in better condition than ours so if you could please give me some insight on this. Thanks in advance.

Don't feel bad. I just bought my 2011 All-Around Sportsman license. Cost $72.25 and includes archery, shotgun and fishing, but I need a separate trout stamp (I think that runs about $10) if I want to fish for trout. To hunt with a ml I also need a rifle permit that runs about $10. Then to hunt the ml season I have to buy a zone permit for the area I want to hunt (I hunt in 4 different zones). Each permit is $28. I also have to buy a $28 buck permit if I want to shoot a buck during the ml season. Between my license and all the add-on permits I spend more than $300 every year.

But then again, I volunteer with our division of fish and game, so I do see the good use the money goes to.

If I ad in fishing it equals out to about the same its ridiculous. especially for not seeing our money go towards the development of the wildlife habitat.

Here in Vt. it's $22.00 for a basic hunting licence which includes small game, a bear tag and buck tag for the centerfire rifle season. Then $20 each for ml,archery,and turkey. Then $8 for waterfowl stamp. Another $20 for antlerless permit during ml season. Total...$110.00. :shocked2: Don't know where the money truely goes and don't care. Just wish the firearm seasons were a little longer.

After reading your post and the others, I feel better. General small game hunting cost me $19, plus a $13 habitat fee. Either sex deer tag is $26. (You can only get one either shotgun or muzzle loading, a second one either sex if you bow hunt.) First doe only tag is also $26, but if I get any more doe only, it is $13 each. Leon

There is no basic hunting licence here. I pay $41 for elk, and $31 for deer. You pay up front, and if you don't draw the unit you apply for, you get your money back and don't hunt.

I do get a free fishing licence, because i'm an old fart.

Here it's $12.50 for a hunting License and $18.50 for a combo license....I think lol, I've had a free License since 1980 and haven't really kept up with it's cost here.

A resident here can buy three deer tags, one either sex and two antlerless tags in bow season for $12.50 each. Tag two does and you earned a fourth buck tag.

We can also buy three Muzzleloader deer tags, one either sex and two antlerless for $12.50 each.

We can also buy three Shotgun deer tags, one either sex and two antlerless for $12.50 each.

We can also buy one either sex tag for $12.50 with the possibility of purchasing another antlerless deer tag to hunt Prudence Island with a bow. To do this you must pass a proficency course.

I can also buy a deer tag for two seperate Disabled hunts, I only hunt one of them, Prudence Island. Some years Prudence will issue two tags.

We can buy a spring Turkey tag for $12.50 and a Fall Turkey which is bow only for $12.50.

I don't complain at all. Once I realized how bad our northern neighbors raped non-residents for one deer tag, I decided to stay home and have no regrets.

Vtsmoker said:
Here in Vt. it's $22.00 for a basic hunting licence which includes small game, a bear tag and buck tag for the centerfire rifle season. Then $20 each for ml,archery,and turkey. Then $8 for waterfowl stamp. Another $20 for antlerless permit during ml season. Total...$110.00. :shocked2: Don't know where the money truely goes and don't care. Just wish the firearm seasons were a little longer.

I found my first Vermont non-resident tag from 1976. It was $45.00 for deer/bear.

I live in N.C. about an hour and a half from where I hunt and grew up in Va. The cost of my out of state license in Va.is $180.00. That covers General hunting license, big game tag(Deer-Bear-Turkey) and a speacial muzzleloading permit. There is a proposal out there that could increase my cost next year to $330.00. Not sure I will continue to hunt there if the increase passes. looks like I'm gonna have to find some NC friends with land. :grin:

H.Hale

Cappr, what if you only hunt small game? My daughter is looking at graduate school in Colorado, and she is only interested in small game hunting.

Capper said:
There is no basic hunting licence here. I pay $41 for elk, and $31 for deer. You pay up front, and if you don't draw the unit you apply for, you get your money back and don't hunt.

I do get a free fishing licence, because i'm an old fart.

A small game licence is $21 for a resident and $56 for non resident. It's good for a year, but all the game have seasons except coyotes and ground squirrels. You can hunt them all year.

What does she hunt?

Ohio hunting license is $19.00. you can small game hunt, Rabbits, squirrel, upland birds, groundhogs, coyotes.

Deer tags are $24(you can get up to 3 depending on the part of the state, good all season but only one can be a buck) "special antlerless" tags are $15.00 (you can get a bunch of these depending on the part of the state you are in)

Furtaker permit $19.00

Turkey tags $24.00(up to 2 in the spring, one in the fall)

Wetlands stamp is $15.00 plus %15.00 Federal stamp if you want to hunt waterfowl.

squirrels and rabbits mostly. Thanks for the information :hatsoff:

Capper said:
A small game licence is $21 for a resident and $56 for non resident. It's good for a year, but all the game have seasons except coyotes and ground squirrels. You can hunt them all year.

What does she hunt?

I feel and alot of my friends feel we are spending our money on just a piece of paper that we don't get our money worth. Not so much getting the harvest but the condition of our game lands and what we are getting for that price and the add ons for each additional stamp.
Ok, for $32.40 (resident adult tag and a ML tag), you get to hunt deer with your ML for more than 30 days. That is about $1 a day to spend in the woods. Now if you add turkey to your hunting, at no additional cost, that adds another 14 -21 days. Add $6.70 anterless tag and you add another 7 days of hunting with the ML. These tags give you the priviledge of harvesting one buck, one doe, and one turkey. There has not been a general license fee increase for years. BTW, it costs you $82 a day at Disney World.

Amen Wildatheart. And the price for the standard license also entitles ye to hunt squirrels/rabbits/ringnecks/grouse and flatland griz for months. Audie...the Oldfart...

This year here in Ct., I bought a super sportsman license for 80 something bucks.
This includes Salt and Fresh water fishing, Small game, Spring turkey,Private land shotgun/rifle deer and private land ML deer.

I hear you i just bought my licence in vermont it was 102.50 and that is residence licence for combo. hunting,fishing,archery,muzzleloader and waterfowl.I havnt put in for my doe permit yet.

Swampy, does your state have a game commission or is it run by the IRS. Man, I would have to study each year before I bought my license. :rotf:

:haha: Not hard really. All three seasons you can buy 3 tags with a possible 4th in Archery. And an Archer can hunt Prudence.

I didn't even mention Block Island where you need to know someone to hunt there and you can get a pad full of tags.

La. Sportsman's Paradise License, 100.00. Covers fishing {salt and fresh water},basic and big game hunting, bow, primitive firearms, turkey, La duck, wma hunting permit and recreational gear license{fish traps and nets}. 3 bucks, 3 does limit. Lifetime license 500.00 for 14 and older, 300.00 5-13 years old and 200.00 0-4 years old. :grin:

Latest posts

Back