• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting method

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually a combination of still and stand hunting. Although the squirrels may be up in the tree, I don't try and get up there with them. :haha:

I hunt almost entirely out of ground blinds built out of surrounding foliage. I have several I build/rebuild on my property. I still hunt from one to the other all day, depending on the wind and other conditions. A land owner next to mine just planted a huge corn field for his personal hunting ground. He has always used huge green fields and succeeded in turning the deer (and mine)nocturnal. He is trying blasted corn field this year. My property is a 15 year old replanted pine track. It has never had a control burn and you can guess how thick it is. You may also guess where all of the deer bed :haha: I'll just have to see how the deer react to the new corn field and adjust my blinds accordingly. :grin:

Squirrel Tail said:
Usually a combination of still and stand hunting. Although the squirrels may be up in the tree, I don't try and get up there with them. :haha:
+1 It depends on circumstances. Sometimes it's a ground blind, sometimes it's still hunting, sometimes it's still hunting alternating with hunkering down by some tree or bush for a while. My occasional forays into spot-and-stalk haven't been terribly successful - I suspect I'm just too old & out of shape to be stealthy enough consistently enough. Never been in a tree stand.

Regards,
Joel

Fat old men should stay out of trees.. :nono: I use to be able to climb like a squirrel but now I climb like a Buffalo :shake:

I like to find a good ambush site and wait for em to come into range. My favorite method is slow stalking. Move from tree to tree, stop a bit, then move a bit. I've found if your huggin a tree a deer is less likely to spot you than when you're standing with nothing for you to blend in with. Windy days, rainy days, of when it's snowing I find are the best for stalking.

I now only use 2 deer hunting methods...opening weekend sees me in a tree stand because of too many hunters wandering about. Come Monday, still hunting. Yrs ago when our "deer camp" had 10-12 hunters, after the weekend, it was all driving. This was probably the most productive hunting method if the "standers" were good shots because most of the time the deer came through w/ a "wide open throttle"."Stop and go" using a compass and watch was also very productive w/ 3-6 hunters...the only drawback is that it required discipline which some of the hunters lacked and really screwed things up....Fred

I use to stalk, tree stand hunt and ground blind in the past.
Now that I am older, I mostly hunt from sleeping cot. I fold it and carry it to where I am going to hunt. Assemble it and lay down. If after awhile I see no deer...then I just roll over and watch in the new direction. Minimizes noises and hunter movements which scare off deer. :rotf: :rotf:

Since I don't get around very well now I take a seat near a tree for deer and generally stay there. For squirrel I sit a spell, move a little and sit some more.

hi, as a hunter I have stdied the habits of the deer in my area ,where they bed down , what they eat at any one time and water locations this gives me a map of the most likley spots to find a deer so stalking is what I find to be most rewarding ... If I am hunting in thick cover I like to hunt with a friend the method we use is to move into cover some distance apart but still able to see one another ,now one of use will move forward quitely while the other stands and watches when about 10 or 20 yards are covered the other will move forward until he is about 10 or 20 yards in front of the first hunter, (this distance is goverend by how thick the cover is) where he will stop and keep a watch .. This procedure has proved to be most productive , the point of this is that the moving hunter however cautious he is rarely sees a deer the standing hunter gets the shot , most often at a deer sneaking away .. I have thought of making a recording of cattle or feral goats moving about and to play it as I do my indian approach as cover , but sofar it is just a thought .. :hmm:

Down around Dothan,Al. they've had dog hunting for years and years, which turned the deer either nocturnal or they stayed down in the deepest swamps you can imagine. 3 years ago they banned dog hunting where I hunt, so the deer are gradually beginning to forage during the day. I usually hunt sitting aganst a tree or in a treestand. The deer are still real cagey coming out into the open. The old ones have taught the young ones well. BTW I still have'nt shot a deer with my flintlock. :( :shake:. been 3 years, but I have passed up a few small ones. Looking to break it in on a nice size doe or buck.

Depends on where I'm hunting . If its around the house It's 50/50 , tree stand and still hunt . It's so gnarly and low visibility . If I'm north in the mts It's still hunt . Love the north country !

could you imagine what the saddle blanket seat cover would look like after touching off the flintlock in the truck? well, after the smoke cleared out of the cab anyway....lol :rotf:

I'm glad for you armakiller. They banned dog hunting here as well. I hope it never comes back. They are talking now about "permits" to dog hunt deer. I can start all kinds of arguments around here with fata$$ people who would rather hunt from their trucks, while drinking beer, hunting deer with dogs. Hunting deer with dogs is no way to hunt anyway you cut it.

I am usally hunting from a ground blind I have constructed from cedars in my favorite location. On occasion I will still hunt between setups if weather or movement is not cooperating.

Yea, It was a happy day when I learned about the ban. I think some of the reasons why, was that other land owners complained about dogs on their land and they did'nt care if they lost a dog or two while hunting :shake:. Plus I believe the deer have got to taste bad from all that adrenaline and other chemicals in their system from being chased.

That’s the way I do it hardtimes. The first and last time I was in a tree stand, I almost killed myself. I was invited down to the corp. of engineers land in Greene county Alabama for an early bow hunt. My cousin had a climbing stand, but all I could come up with was a homemade hang on. The technique was you wrapped your arms around the tree and inchworm yourself up the tree utilizing straps on the stand platform. I got about 25 to 30 foot up a large pine and clacketey clack clack, down that tree the stand went. Luckily, it slipped off by boots as I was gripping the tree. I still have hair missing from parts of my chest after sliding down that pine. I haven't been in one since. I have helped others place them and tote them in and out, but I don't plan to perch in one anymore. Nothing against them, just not my forte.

armakiller, I've twice witnessed deer drop dead from dogs running them. I just never agreed with that type of hunting. I'm happy your area has got clear of that. :thumbsup:

Me, too! I had a clibing stand, used it once, it took me so long to get down outa that tree, the game warden was waiting for me at my truck wondering why I was hunting after dark!! :surrender:

Back