• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting with a 20ga trade gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock scratcher

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, new to the site and just want to know??
If any Guys out there are Hunting with and 20 ga
smooth bore??? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

thanks ken

I did a few years ago, and now have a new .62cal Virginia to christen this fall if I'm lucky...

rock scratcher said:
Hello, new to the site and just want to know?? If any Guys out there are Hunting with and 20 ga
smooth bore???
Yes, I do, with both ball and shot and for several years. Long barrel 20 ga. fowler type, though, not a trade gun, if that matters.

Spence

I have used a NW trade gun in .62 bore and a Virginial Smoothrifle in the same bore with great results it just takes a bit to work up a load just like a rifle.

wow! cool to here there is a good bunch of smoothie
shooters out there, seems funny when you trade a penn york town rifle for a trade rifle,Ha ha
i guess that makes mine a trade rifle! anyway
what a fun flinter to shoot this summer put a
jim chambers touch hole liner and she sure is faster!!
worth the time and money. love to here the
hunt story's and want to try and shot load soon?? are you guy's shooting over 50 yards???

Mr. rock scratcher,
We use a Type G Trade Gun for everything from Moose to Squirrels, with an occasional Grouse thrown in.
That is, when I am not hunting with a Longbow.
Best Wishes

Wind Walker, I shoot long bows Hunt and 3d shoots
do you shoot a 20 ga trade? if so what round ball size????and patch?

ken

Thank you All, I have not shot the 20ga Trade gun as
a shot gun yet! do any of you have a good safe
starter load for me?????

thanks ken

Mr. rock scratcher,
Yes, it is a 20ga. We use a PRB dropped from a .600 mold, cast from wheel weights. Off hand, I don't know how thick the patch is but it is a snug fit. 90gr of 3F GOEX down the barrel and in the pan gets the job done out to 50 yards, perhaps a bit further. This load is safe in our gun and pleasant to shoot. I don't know if it would be in yours. With all due respect, you need to check before using!
For shot we prefer #6 (don't remember exactly how much our measure throws) with a thick over powder card and one thin over shot card, powered by 70 gr of 3F. There are a lot of possible combinations that will work quite well.
Best Wishes

You bet, I use mine with both shot and round ball! It's great fun.
Dusty :wink:

Hello, on a 20ga trade rifle the round ball specs
about a 53 cal round ball dose this sound correct?
a 54 round ball is to big??
thanks ken

My .62 smoothbores used .600 or .595 and my .58 uses .535 thru .575 with varying patches or wadding combos.The tighter loads shoot a tighter group but all are good to minute of Deer out to 50 yds which is as far as I care to shoot a smoothbore for game even though I have had some guns which regularly hit a 8"x36" cylinder at over 100 yds on our trail walk

rock scratcher said:
Hello, on a 20ga trade rifle the round ball specs
about a 53 cal round ball dose this sound correct?
a 54 round ball is to big??
thanks ken

No...a .20ga is a .62cal... .620" diameter bore.
A .600" ball and .022" patch is snug and very accurate in mine.

A .54cal is a .28ga... .540" diameter bore.
A .520" ball and .022" patch is snug and very accurate in mine;

rock scratcher said:
thanks RB! so is a 28 Gage!
might be ok on grouse, quail??
kinda small shot gun???

ken
IMO, .28ga is an outstanding small game gun from squirrels to Turkey, and an excellent deer gun in the woods...love mine.

RB, thanks I fell better I love this north star gun
was a 36 I cut down to 30 nice and balanced what load do you shoot 4 a shot load??

thanks ken

You can cut another 6" off and have something to paddle your Canoe with (VBG)

rock scratcher said:
"...I cut down to 30" nice and balanced what load do you shoot 4 a shot load??

Green Mountain 15/16" x 32" octagon Flint barrel, cylinder bore, no shot cup:

70grns Goex 3F and some example shot loads:

Skeet / Trap = 70grn measure #8s;

Dove = 80grn measure #7.5s;
(Or, if using larger #6s with more air space and fewer pellets I bump up to a 90grn measure);

For squirrels/crows, I use 100grn measure of #5s;

hey rock scratcher, i too use a 20ga flintlock Type D for almost everything. for deer i shoot a .600 ball with a .005 patch over 100grn swiss 2F.

for skeet and trap/ squirrel and rabbit

1oz #7 1/2 shot
1/2" cushion wad
1/8" nitro card
60grn swiss 2F

pheasant
1 1/4OZ copper plated #4
1/2" cusion wad
1/8" nitro card
80grn swiss 2F

for ducks same as pheasant only substitute bismuth #4

Back