• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am another flintlock first-timer!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to let you guys know that I killed my first flintlock deer this morning! I used my new-to-me Southern Mountain Rifle. I took her through both lungs at 60 yards and she went about 50 yards. The 440 roundball took out ribs going in and out and the ball passed completely through (no souveneir today) :grin: . I used 60 grains of 3f Goex and pillow ticking cut at the muzzle.

I have used black powder exclusively for my deer hunting for 20+ years. Still, I feel as though I am "hooked" all over again thanks to the flintlock harvest today!!!

Hopefully this post isn't "worthless without pictures", it worked out that I couldn't get any due to my circumstances. I just had to share the news with you all.

Skychief said:
I want to let you guys know that I killed my first flintlock deer this morning!

That is just outstanding Skychief...bet you're already thinking about the next one...congratulations !

:hatsoff:

Grats Skychief! :thumbsup:

...but there better be pics next time! :nono:

:haha:

Waidmanns Heil from Germany to another hooked hunter! :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Congratulations! Enjoy the ride....there's just something about your first flintlock deer. Save some part of it to keep forever.I just rendered down the fat of mine-next week I will trim and pre-clean the skull and boil it for a Texas head mount. The round ball is starting to impress me....Hope there's more in your future....Dan

Back