• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am not sure if I want to hunt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:haha: Can't say I'm ever sorry to hear a nonresident say that. :wink: Seriously though I have no idea where you hunted, sure wasn't where I do.

Tonight 8 came by me, 7 left. After getting everything taken care of and coming in to sit down to supper. I was sitting here talking to RC about 6:00pm and watched 11 Does and young walk by my camera! Unbelievable, seems the more I shoot the more show up.

Stumpkiller said:
??? I can open the freezer door and tell at a glance if I need to be hunting or not.

Like RC and Bald Mt Man I got a passel of taks from the NY DEC. I have NY permits left over for one antlered deer, one antlerless and one either sex. I have a button and a buck in the freezer and that's all the meat my wife and I need plus a bit for giving (we also slaughtered four Boer meat goats and we're well stocked). I stop shooting when my cupboard is full.

The year my Father died I had a buck walk up to me on opening day and I didn't have the heart to shoot. I packed up, went home and put the gun away that year. If you don't have a driving desire to hunt and you don't need the meat you shouldn't force it. They're God's creatures too. Not souvernirs. Don't kill needlessly.

I totally agree with you Stumpy. But this year, for the first time, we were able to fill our freezer & have the opportunity to donate venison (two deer) to the venison donation program for the needy. That program works out very well. I got to keep hunting, but don't feel guilty about taking so many deer because they are going to a good cause. Also, the state has determined that there are enough deer to allot those tags. :thumbsup:

There are so many deer down here that one tried to kill me today on the road. Clipped it and it broke my front signal light and kept on running! That would have made #6! We are freaking over run with deer down here in 3m/3p.

I guess to me the question is will you use the meat and do you need it. If not, go coyote hunting. :thumbsup:

Good luck!
Wess

""Also, the state has determined that there are enough deer to allot those tags""" :barf: :barf: whens the last time you seen anyone from the DEC in the woods???? :confused: not counting the CO who has NOTHING to say about the deer kill in his area..example:dec goes in butcher shop, there's 20 deer hangin, take all the tags #'s and ck....find 15 of 20 have been called in..SO. they formulate for every 15 called in theres 20 dead...best part is they base the herd population on the "formulated" number... be sorta like the census bureau goin to the cemetery,countin gravestones and figurin what the living pop was..????? ALL NUMBERS ARE BASED ON DOLLARS! transferable doe permits..they stop that and license sales would plummet! even plummet more if they cut number of permits..! okay..how many premits did the state give out in your area? did they ever say? not here. :hmm: could be 5000 or 50,000..who'd know? if yer seein deer you ought thank something, we used too,,alot,and not long ago,,we can't find many tracks...they grow wings? :cursing: ((IMHO!)

I was hunting in Burrillville. I don't have access to private land so I was on state forest land.

During archery I saw two deer about 60 to 75 yards away and way in the woods from my stand. That was it. Never saw another deer again.

During muzzleloader I saw nothing and may have spooked some walking in. Again, nothing seen but I found sign along the edge of state and private land. It seems that they would enter state land at dark and then go to the safety of private land before sunrise.

I also had a run in with someone and figured that I don't want to have problems again. So RI is probably off my list for next year.

I'm in the middle of the State, private land hunting what I consider a sub species of White tails lol. "Urban deer" they go by a slightly different set of rules. :v

Swamp Rat said:
I'm in the middle of the State, private land hunting what I consider a sub species of White tails lol. "Urban deer" they go by a slightly different set of rules. :v
umm, they march to a different hunter? :shake: sorry.. :redface:

Back