• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

i got a nice buck(no photo)yet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel collums

45 Cal.
Reaction score
i got a nice 8 point right before dark today its got a 17 1/2 inside spread. will get some pictures after supper.

i made it to the woods about 3:15 put on some of the doe scent and headed to my tree stand. when i got there i sprayed some scent on a log about 20 feet from my tree and went up about 15 feet. sat there about an hour or a little longer and heard something coming out of the swamp then saw him making his way up the hill towards me. he would stop about ever 5 feet and put his nose to the air and came straight to the spot where i put the scent, i already had the hammer back and when he put his nose down i shot. dropped him in his tracks. i hit him dead center of the spine at the base of his neck. the ball didnt come out but i bet it splatted into nothing after going through the spine. i was using my seneca .45 with 80gr of ffg goex. he looks like he will weigh close to 200# on the hoof.

i had grabbed my hawken .54 and when i got my ball pouch it was full of .45 balls so i just swapped rifles because i was running late. it was a dang good thing i looked at the balls before i walked out the door. looks like i need to get a couple new leather ball bags and mark them .50,.54,.45 before i really mess up. it would be heck trying to wrap enough patches around a .440 to shoot out of a .54 and even harder to get a .530 down a .45 barrel. i'm going to do a skull mount on this buck he's just a little to good to hang on the front porch and just not enough mass to justify spending that much on a shoulder mount.

Toccopola said:
i'm going to do a skull mount on this buck he's just a little to good to hang on the front porch and just not enough mass to justify spending that much on a shoulder mount.

:2 That rack lends it's self to a skull mount :hatsoff: Not sure how to describe it, but the tips of the tines bend in a bit & give a slightly sinister look that a skull mount needs.

Way to go! I did as you are thinking a different bag for each gun(cal). When you do your skull mount try using Biz about 1 1/2 to 2 cups in your water. It really works great,Dan.

Latest posts

Back