• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have to rethink the spare cylinder idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last week wife and I visited Cody Wyoming. Among others we visited the Museum of Relic Firearms. In his display cases were many loaded percussion cylinders which had been found without frames.

I still don't believe cylinders were swapped out in the heat of battle or on horseback. But there we too many lone cylinders for spare cylinders to have not been carried by some.

Interesting and controversial topic. There is evidence of the Texas Rangers using spare cylinders with their Patersons. Past that it may have been done but was not a common practice. People serious about staying alive in battles seemed to go with carrying more guns.

But you have to let the historical evidence tell it's own story. Why so many loose, loaded cylinders if not carried as spares? Any extra gear takes energy to transport. You could probably carry an extra cylinder or two easier than a spare revolver.

But you have to let the historical evidence tell it's own story. Why so many loose, loaded cylinders if not carried as spares? Any extra gear takes energy to transport. You could probably carry an extra cylinder or two easier than a spare revolver.
Not saying it was not done, just does not seem to be a common practice. Where are the belts and pouches that would have carried these? Imagine you are in gunfight and need to reload your revolver. Say it is an open top. You have to tap out the wedge. What are using to do that? Then worry about it falling into the grass. Now you have to handle the frame, the barrel, and a cylinder and replace the cylinder. How many hands do you have? Don't drop anything especially if you are on a horse. And assemble the gun. While being shot at. Common sense says I'd rather carry a little more weight and have the extra firepower at the ready if needed. The Remington is more friendly to cylinder swaps but it still takes some fiddling to insert the new cylinder. And what were the manufacturing standards back then? Were cylinders hand fitted? Would they be universally interchangeable? The Patersons were sold with an extra cylinder as part of the package so those were fitted to the gun. Search around. Not much documentation or mention of this being a thing.

Back