• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have to rethink the spare cylinder idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often read that Civil War cavalrymen carried spare cylinders and reloaded with them in the saddle. Since I picked up a Remington New Army reproduction and actually tried swapping cylinders, I have come to doubt that. It's a two-handed operation that requires manipulation of the hammer position, cylinder, cylinder pin and loading lever. I can manage it easily enough at the range with both feet on the ground, but can't picture doing it on horseback in the middle of a gunfight. Carrying capped and loaded cylinders seems like a pretty risky proposition and uncapped cylinders aren't going to be much help. Clint Eastwood seems to manage it easily enough, but I wouldn't try it. A second (or third) loaded revolver seems like a better idea.

I often read that Civil War cavalrymen carried spare cylinders and reloaded with them in the saddle. Since I picked up a Remington New Army reproduction and actually tried swapping cylinders, I have come to doubt that. It's a two-handed operation that requires manipulation of the hammer position, cylinder, cylinder pin and loading lever. I can manage it easily enough at the range with both feet on the ground, but can't picture doing it on horseback in the middle of a gunfight. Carrying capped and loaded cylinders seems like a pretty risky proposition and uncapped cylinders aren't going to be much help. Clint Eastwood seems to manage it easily enough, but I wouldn't try it. A second (or third) loaded revolver seems like a better idea.
I think Clint either practiced that a lot or had a gun tuned for an easy swap. Some will be easier to swap than others.

Those cavalrymen were gifted highly skilled and trained horsemen who generally carried a rifle or shotgun (sometime both) revolvers and a saber, and were able to employ all three easily, riding a horse with both hands free is not that big a trick, especially if the horse is standing still. The trained to reload their long guns in the saddle so I would think they did the same with their revolvers.

As far as "in the middle of a gunfight", one could, being mounted, move off and disengage momentarily.

Although I would think that a cavalryman would be less likely to carry spare cylinders and more likely to carry extra revolvers, due to being mounted and not having to carry them himself, he also had a saber that foot soldiers didn't for the most part and it was employed in close quarters, the revolver merely being a tool to close with form rifle range to saber range.

I expect it was far more likely that cavalry troops carried multiple pistols rather than dangerously carried loaded and capped cylinders ! I think I read in one of Keith's books that the technique used was to shoot multiple pistols dry, then resort to the sabre to cut ones way clear, gallop out of range to reload, reform and charge again .
Also it must be remembered that only officers and cavalry troops were issued pistols not infantry and I doubt it would take long to recover spare/extra pistols off a battle field.

Back