• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have to rethink the spare cylinder idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case my last post sounded unrealistic, I got a recording of a normal swap. If this upload thing is working.

Not bad, and I only knocked my phone off it's precarious perch once while filming.

Nice and smooth. I no longer have a shot timer or a chronograph but the real test that I would like to do is your split times between shots on target and the reload. BINTD with a 10yrd IPSC target with 1911 my split time for doubble tap on target , dump a mag and then doubble tap again with A zone hits was usually 1.5 seconds and a little under for the reload if it was a good day 1.45 or so. I never timed my reload with a revolver but I doubt is was fast. i suspect I would be very lucky to get to 5 seconds with an 1858 coming from a pocket. Getting a pouch unsnapped and getting the fresh cylinder out is a bit time consuming. Your real best bet with a cap and ball revolver or any revolver for that matter is to make every shot count.

That would be interesting. I've never tried to time any of my shooting, and never done anything close to competition, so I don't have any gear. Could just record things and get the timing off the recording.

I would probably be pretty darned slow. Don't practice as much as I should. Finally got a setup where I can shoot in my backyard with wax bullets. Need to do it more.

many years ago in a different life I trained almost every day with a shot timer and competed in events every weekend that were time and target scored. the timer shows you the time of every shot fired from the buzzer to the end of the stage. my split time for double taps at 10yrds was .18-.20 At 25 yrds .35ish the split time for double taps @ 50yrds was about .54 ish for a zone hits. A fast reload was about 1.50 seconds.. I don't do any real speed shooting with the cap guns now. Focusing on accuracy and being smooth. I am not slow but not fast and not doing any fast draws. My slim Jim holster is not made for speed. Best bet is to use your head and have that rig in your hand if trouble is going to start.

There is little evidence our army issued or promoted the use of spare cylinders for reloading, likely due to the doctrine of using the handgun to to close and them employing the saber. Most troops did not carry a handgun, they were mostly limited to officers and cavalry troops (hence the saber doctrine)

There was though at least one army that issued the colt 1851 with a spare cylinder and a holster pouch combination as well are sperate cylinder pouches and that was the large and well known and well-respected Prussian Army, as evidenced in my earlier post in this thread.

That we see little evidence of it here is due to that fact that handguns themselves were not "general issue" and confined to certain types of soldiers, mostly officers and cavalry. Calvary likely didn't make use of the spare cylinders for two reasons, the aforementioned use of the saber in close quarters and, as they were on a horse, the ability to carry more weight in the form of extra revolvers. They even had those pommel holsters designed to carry extra larger heavier revolvers. And officers, well likely reloads were not a priority for most of them for the obvious reasons and if they were in combat, they also carried sabers.

You would also, in the case of the Confederacy have to take into account the general shortage of guns, and in particular revolvers, which would have likely driven the use of spare cylinders as getting one revolver was difficult and multiples more so, so the cylinder thing would have been more likely.

The only thing that there is little evidence of is pouches, that spare cylinders were sold and even advertised is well documented as well as pistols coming with spare cylinders. On thing I tend to dismiss those naysayers that right about this issue is, when they start citing the dangers of carrying a "loaded" cylinder, comparing them to hand grenades or claymore mines. Yes, a capped loaded cylinder would present hazards, but a loaded uncapped cylinder would not as we all here should be well aware of, and these "expert" writers more often than not do not differentiate or even mention this. Even an uncapped loaded cylinder would greatly sped up the reloading process, especially if on had a capper around their neck. Uncapped cylinders would also be easier/safer to carry, thus not requiring a special pouch, explaining their scarcity.

A good question may be did those carry spare loaded cylinders carry them capped, or uncapped?

As far as commonly done, I would say the Prussian army's use pretty much says it was "common". Depends on how you define common though as it is a subjective concept.
There was testing done to simulate a chainfire detonation and with 30 grns of 3F Goex and a ball they found it only had 7 ft/lbs of energy IIRC. They figured it might bruise you.

That would be interesting. I've never tried to time any of my shooting, and never done anything close to competition, so I don't have any gear. Could just record things and get the timing off the recording.

I would probably be pretty darned slow. Don't practice as much as I should. Finally got a setup where I can shoot in my backyard with wax bullets. Need to do it more.

Some competitions dont really require much gear. I had a huge amount of fun shooting some steel challenge shoots, they were 5 plate and 6 plate, no reloads required. I shot my best time with an SA revolver, very close second with DA revolver, 1911 was last in hit ability and time for me.

The main thing is having fun and learning.

Wax bullets would be fun for yard practice.

Latest posts

Back