• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpollock_sr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have run into a problem that has me stumped. I,m working on a H&R huntsman .58 cal ml for a lefty who just wants to try ml.He brought me the rifle and said it wouldn't fire, so out to the range we went. The ignition was terrible. The rifle had to be cocked and the hammer dropped 3 and 4 times in order to fire the cap.I said I would see what I could do.
I have replaced the mainspring,fireing pin spring and fireing pin (kind of strange on a ml but thats how they built them).Nothing had changed, I even shimed out the nipple (with no charge in the gun) to see if that would help. No change.I have some H&R nipples on order but they are in back order and have been for weeks. I don't know if they would make any difference or not.
Lastly, I had sent the rifle back to the factory,(now NEF )but they won't work on H&R guns.So they sent it back to me and thats why I started this project in the first place.
Any help at all wil be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the cap is not seating all the way down on the nipple until it has been hit a couple of times with the hammer. You might try sanding down the diameter of the nipple and making sure there is no flaring out at the top of the nipple from previous hammer blows.

Could also be that the hammer is not striking the cap squarely. In that case heating and bending the hammer a little might help.

Harddog

If hammer falls hard, would suspect undersized caps (or, oversized nipple) which are acting as a dampener.

Make sure there isn't an old cap stuck up in the hammer pocket. Also check to see that the pocket is cleaned out real well. Maybe dig around with a pocketknife to check for carbon build-up.

Hank

Back