• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Quit While I Was Ahead.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use to hunt a very large hay field. I used a couple different flint .50s and created a blind with these big, round hay bales. They also made a good rifle rest. I located myself in the middle of a portion of the field so I'd have a good view of the edges when the deer came out in the late afternoon. The longest shot I'd have would be about 150 yards at most with 100yds to maybe 130yds over most of the field. I killed two deer, one at 95yds and another at about 125yds. I used 100 grains of Goex 3F in both .50s with an op wad. The ball carried very well and the point blank range for that load was easily 140yds.

I wonder has anyone ever tried a cotton ball as an OPW or would it just be a fire hazard LOL?

What you call a Texas heart shot should not be condemned as unethical. It is a very effective shot. I have made this twice. First time was in North Dakota with an early Super Grade Model 70 270 Winchester. An old factory round that I got with the rifle ruptured lengthways at the head as I shot at a mule deer buck, with no harm to my eye or the rifle. By then the buck was running uphill away from me at nearly 400 yards and about to disappear. The rump shot put him down in his tracks. The second time I was hunting with Jim Zumbo up near Greybull, Wyoming. He wrote about this is his book "Hunting America's Mule Deer", pages 113 and 114, photo of the deer on page 299.

We had hunted three days with no luck and just at daylight on the last day I saw the little buck topping out on a sagebrush hill about 385 yards away. (I later used my duplex crosshair scope to measure a fence post where I killed him, calculating the range). Jim used a little poetic license here, he wrote 'He was shooting a .257 Ackley Improved rifle....We were walking across a sage knoll when a buck jumped up and trotted off. Herb calmly walked to a boulder, laid his jacket on it, and took a prone position with his rifle snugged on the jacket. The buck stopped at a distance I judged to be 400 yards. Herb casually stated he was going to take the buck squarely in the anus because the deer was looking back at us over its rump. When the rifle cracked the buck collapsed instantly, dead before it hit the ground. The shot was perfect, precisely where Herb called it. It was the first time I had seen that particular part of the anatomy hit with a bullet, although I knew it was one of the deadliest, most humane shots that can be made. We paced the distance to the deer; it was 410 yards.'

And here is my friend Carl Jackson with a mulie he killed with a .50 flintlock I built for him. He used 80 grains of Goex 2f. The buck was walking away uphill and Carl knelt down and shot, intending to hit him in the back of the head, thinking the range was about 100 yards. The buck walked a few feet and laid down. The bullet hit the right rear butt and ranged about 24" forward through the liver and lungs and the buck died in a few minutes. I saw the site a week later and Carl's laser rangefinder confirmed the range at 165 yards. There is nothing unethical about a base of the spine or rump shot, that anchors the animal on the spot.
Carldeer.jpg

I agree with Herb, although I have never taken that particular shot, there are a few times I wish I had. Animals that walked away would have been instantly put down with my .280.

I have taken "up the guggle" shots on departing game as a back-up to a questionable initial shot (hit a strand of barbed wire once and the buck and I were both flummoxed at the flailing wire and leaves!).

But we're talking mzzleloaders here. Not .270 WIN or 12 gauge slugs. I have had a ball stay in the skin behind a buck's femur bone after a frontal heart shot. It just made a small tunnel back through the paunch/guts and went around the bone rather than into it. If the vitals were at the other end of the animal it would not have done much damage.

I had some .015 prelubed TC patches for .54 & .56 from 1996. Tried them with no OPW, left target. After the first shot they loaded very hard for the first 16" of the bore. Shots 4 and 5 the patches blew but shot to aim and had normal velocity. I could not use these without wiping at every shot, which I won't do. I cleaned the bore after, and to dry the powder chamber I poured about 10 grains of powder down the bore, primed the pan, and shot. This dried the chamber.

The right target was with the same load but .015 dry OxYoke patches, which I lubed with my mix of Murphy Oil soap, 91% alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, about 1-3-3 parts. This is all I use. I used R.E.M.'s idea of a cotton ball, from stuffing in an aspirin botle, maybe 5/8" in diameter. That cotton ball blew to smithereens but did not burn. It worked very well. These patches are about 1 1/4" in diameter, too small. Shot 4, the ball was not centered on the patch, which may have allowed one side to rub the bore and blow the patch. On Shot #5 I forgot the cotton ball and the shot missed the target. Shot 7 blew the patch but the ball hit in the group with low velocity. So far my .021 red duck with no OPW and .562 balls work best. Thanks, R.E.M.
58TCpatches.jpg

Herb,FWIW I use 10 oz. cotton duck in my .58's. It maybe a little tight to load but its accurate. I shoot 120grn 2f goex with tracks mink oil lube. No burn thru and its capable of hole touching groups at 100 yrds. Good luck on your hunt. Dew

Today I shot 120 grains of Goex 2F, .570 balls and .008 super muslin patching. First shot, no OPW, patch blew, velocity 1550 fps, shot near the later group. Then I used dry cotton ball OPW's, no wiping. Velocities 1594, 1614, 1560 (bore now gritty to load, so I wiped bore), 1557 with holed patch and 1587, other patches good. The patch does not hold enough lube (cleaner) to clean the bore, so will not use it. The last cotton ball smouldered and burned, first one out of 12 used. A cotton ball OPW could be wet in the mouth enough to preclude this, but I will leave them for now.

I had previously shot at rocks 140 to maybe 150 yards away, near that round bush left of the front sight, shooting over them with my sights. So I set up a pizza box (14" square) and two milk jugs at an estimated 170 yards to check on bullet drop. I raised up my chronograph screens to read the velocities. Mistakenly used .570 balls first three shots with the .021 red duck, then .562 for fourth shot, no OPWs. You can see the targets in the center of the screens. Level to the left edge of the photo in the round circle in the cedars are two green steel fence posts, at a lasered 200 yards. I have no rangefinder so guessed my target at 170 yards.
pizzaTarget.jpg

Here is the sight picture. Front sight is .090 wide and covers 12" per 100 yards, or almost 18" at my pizza box target. I made the rear sight. The hole is .082" in diameter, but breaks out at the top. It covers 36" at 100 yards. I hold the top of the front sight center at 100 yards. If I hold the blade at the top of the rear sight, that is a 12" holdover per 100 yards. This is what I was testing today, and it worked well.
58sightPicture.jpg

There was a light shifty breeze from the right, the first shot, aimed at the top of the box, missed the target. The second one hit the box on the left. So I aimed at the top left corner of the box to hit the left milk jug but missed it. First two shots are marked with the orange markers. The fourth shot, with .562 ball, hit the right side of the box. The sticks in front mark the angle of bullet paths. I had to leave for other work, so watered the desert with the milk jugs and took my trash home.
milkjugTarget.jpg

"What you call a Texas heart shot should not be condemned as unethical."

I think that would be a matter of individual choice same as a running away shot at 400 yds, one cannot argue that the percentages of problems raise with such shots the disagreement is when the percentage raises to the point of being unacceptable, there are shos like this that I persoanbly would not add to a list of acceptable shot when bringing up a new hunter, and there is absoluitely no comparison twixt the damage a high powered bullet form a centerfire can do from any angle it that of a PRB, one may find a bad angle develope if the animal moves when shooting but to start off with that sight picture? what does one have if the animal moves then? I am surprised that this type of thing is even mentioned as an option here, let alone a good humane one, just my opinion based on what I would consider common sense and no pressure to HAVE to take a shot at every animal that is remoteley within range of hitting...somewhere, a survey pole would be interesting on this one to see where the general ML hunting public is on shot placement with PRB, one might get a cross section of sort from traditional hunters here.

I have no interest in what other hunters think they might do. Its when the choice is shoot or don't shoot that your skill and "ethics" come to the fore. You being interested in ethics and all, let me tell you about the most ethical rump shot on a deer that I didn't make. I was hunting on Lower Souris Refuge in about 1965 and a hunter told me he saw a buck go into a patch of willows and brush in a hayfield, the mowed hayfield hundreds of acres and the brush an area too wet to mow, maybe 2 acres in size. So I walked the half mile to it and walked around it, finally started easing through it against the wind, just like hunting pheasants. There was grass two to three feet high in places, and thick brush. I carefully went through and then decided that the buck was just holding tight, so I went through again. My rifle was a .257 Roberts with a 6X scope, the trigger set at less than 3 pounds. I carefully looked over all the open spots and grass clumps, and while I was looking to the left, the deer jumped about five feet away to my right and was disappearing through the brush about eight feet away as I swung my rifle at hip level, pushed the safety off and started to touch the trigger. Had I done that, I would have hit the deer somewhere in the rump and he would have stopped right there. But in that instant I knew I had not seen "horns", bucks only were legal, and I did not touch that trigger. I fondly remember that as a very good hunt and I am proud of my ability to find that deer and my instant control not to shoot when I hadn't seen horns.

Most of my questions have been asked and answered as have most of my comments.
But, (there's always a "but" :wink: I will toss out a couple observations.
That red duck cloth from Wal-Mart is wuthluss as patch cloth. Have tried it.
While I believe your charges are heavy, they are not wildly excessive and your explantion for use of them is understandable.
I am puzzled, however, by your many shredded and blown patches. That shouldn't be.
With your amount of testing and experimentation (you are to be congratulated BTW, most of us don't do that as we should) I would think you would have solved that problem by yourself already.
Over powder wads just shouldn't be neccessary in a rifle, IMHO.
I might have missed it, but what is the twist in yer barrel? Hope it is 1:66 or 1:72 for that bore and those heavy loads.
I still don't know what a "Texas heart shot" is. Knowing Texans, though, I think I can guess.
Good luck on yer elk hunt. Wish it wuz me.

I am not impressed in the least that you made one good call in the past, not having horns is all that saved that Deer from being shot is the... ass......now there is a whole other topic but I won't go there.

The barrel is a Green Mountain, twist is 1 in 70 inches. If you know a patching material that will take 120 to 140 grains of Goex 2F without an OPW, and allow the ball to be seated without a hammer, let me know. I would like to use it. I have not yet found one. That red cotton duck from Wal Mart, UPC number 8413221718 at $5.97 per yard is the best I have found.
TG- I am positive that deer was a buck, because he was seen to go into that brush "island", and by his behavior. But I did not SEE antlers in the second or two before I would have shot. Yes, I might have shot his ham and ruined some meat, but I would have had a deer. Now, if you want ethics, places I would not shoot an animal include the head and the neck. How about you?

obviously we see things differently for which I am very gratefull, I think I will find a lead box for this post as it merits no further attention.

Herb said:
The barrel is a Green Mountain, twist is 1 in 70 inches. If you know a patching material that will take 120 to 140 grains of Goex 2F without an OPW, and allow the ball to be seated without a hammer, let me know. I would like to use it. I have not yet found one. That red cotton duck from Wal Mart, UPC number 8413221718 at $5.97 per yard is the best I have found.
TG- I am positive that deer was a buck, because he was seen to go into that brush "island", and by his behavior. But I did not SEE antlers in the second or two before I would have shot. Yes, I might have shot his ham and ruined some meat, but I would have had a deer. Now, if you want ethics, places I would not shoot an animal include the head and the neck. How about you?

Ticking is hard to beat. The hammering issue is one of ball size, not (necessarily) patch material.

tg said:
"What you call a Texas heart shot should not be condemned as unethical."

I think that would be a matter of individual choice same as a running away shot at 400 yds, one cannot argue that the percentages of problems raise with such shots the disagreement is when the percentage raises to the point of being unacceptable, there are shos like this that I persoanbly would not add to a list of acceptable shot when bringing up a new hunter, and there is absoluitely no comparison twixt the damage a high powered bullet form a centerfire can do from any angle it that of a PRB, one may find a bad angle develope if the animal moves when shooting but to start off with that sight picture? what does one have if the animal moves then? I am surprised that this type of thing is even mentioned as an option here, let alone a good humane one, just my opinion based on what I would consider common sense and no pressure to HAVE to take a shot at every animal that is remoteley within range of hitting...somewhere, a survey pole would be interesting on this one to see where the general ML hunting public is on shot placement with PRB, one might get a cross section of sort from traditional hunters here.

Here is what Bob Hagel wrote in the September-October 1981 Number 77 of Rifle Magazine, "The Misunderstood Rump Shot": "Much verbal flak has peppered the pages of hunting and firearms publications regarding the use of the so-called rump shot on big game animals, especially on heavy game like elk and moose. Many hunters grind their teeth, feign nausea, and develop convulsive tremors at the thought of deliberately placing a bullet near the root of the tail of any animal-or so they would have us believe. They label a hit in that area as totally ineffective, a spoiler of huge amounts of choice meat, and a shot that allows great numbers of animals to run off into the brush to die slowly with little chance of recovery. I can understand and sympathize with their thinking because of their lack of knowledge of how effective it really is if executed correctly with the right cartridges and bullets. But it is also obvious that these hunters have never hunted heavy game in places where this shot may be the only one presented day after weary day of crawling around through the logs and brush trying to even see the animals that they know are there.

"But let's take a serious look at the rump shot, which is actually a misnomer, and see how it works, when it should be attempted, how effective it really is on heavy game, and what it takes to do the job efficiently.

"To start with, the term rump shot more or less implies that the shot is fired from directly behind and is aimed at the center of "the seat of his pants." This is not what a proper tail-ender shot is and should not be done except when a heavy, big-bore bullet of controlled expansion can be slanted upward so that the spine will be broken forward of the hips.

"The whole purpose of placing a bullet in the pelvis-spine area is to immobilize the animal completely. To be fully effective, the shot should be attempted only at close range, where the bullet can be placed exactly where it must go. You don't drop an animal by landing the bullet in the ham; you have to break up the rear of the spinal column. A second reason for being close is that the animal will not die as quickly as it would from a lung-heart shot, and you should be close enough to put in a finishing shot within a few seconds. Not that he is going anywhere, but he should be dispatched before he comes out of the initial shock and starts to suffer....

"While every attempt possible should be made to kill an animal instantly, it seldom happens that way with any bullet placement. Game shot in the heart or lungs often travel more than a hundred yards. And while the shoulder shot is advocated by most experienced hunters, the bullet that drives in from the side and passes forward of the lungs is usually a slow killer and requires a finishing shot. The often highly touted neck and head shots are not necessarily sure and quick killers, and if the neck bone is not smashed or the brain penetrated, the animal can live for days. This brings out the point that because the rump shot is not instantly fatal, does not mean it is not effective, or that the animal will live any longer than with the bullet placed in other areas.

"As to when and why it should be used, the answer is only when conditions prevent placing the bullet in a more instantly vital area such as the heart or lungs. Elk in many areas live in heavy timber most of the year, and in others are driven in as soon as the hunting season opens. Moose are also hunted in some pretty thick stuff in many areas. When you have to go into the big trees, down logs, and thick brush, the game usually knows you are there and is normally moving away from you. It follows that what you see most of is his fanny, and often only small parts of that. If you do see some of the body, it is hard to know what part, and a shot thought to be headed for the lungs that lands in the paunch is not nearly as effective as one that breaks the spine from the rear and lets him down where he stands. If the right shot at his hunkus presents itself and you don't take it, there very likely will not be another chance. After a week or so of this, few hunters resist shooting at whatever part shows up, so they would have done much better to place a bullet carefully in the rear of the spine when the chance was offered....

"If properly executed, the rump shot is extremely effective on heavy animals. And before you scream and condemn those who use it when conditions warrant, consider how many whitetail deer would ever be killed if no hunter fired at the north end of a south-bound buck! This doesn't mean that I advocate the rump shot for everyone under all conditions but every hunter should know how to do it and why it is necessary under certain circumstances."

Hagel is writing about centerfire rifle hunting, but a .54 or .58 lead roundball weighing 220 to 270 grains at hunting load velocity can do as well as any of the loads he wrote about. This is why I want what Roundball calls "whompability"- not just for flatter trajectory to reasonable hunting ranges, but for what the ball can do once it gets there.

I've tried my best to keep quiet on this, but I can't any longer. What you have just spouted is a bunch of gooblygook and is pertainting to modern high power rifles. and has nothing to do with hunting with a muzzleloader.Nobody in my book should try a Texas heart shot with a muzzleloader, and I wounld'nt hunt with somebody who did. Your friend should'nt even be hunting if he can't tell the difference between 100 yrds and 165 yrds, thats a big difference in range. And talk about unethical he was aiming for the BACK of the deers NECK!,and just happened by pure LUCK to make a fatal shot. I don't think anybody on this forum would try to hit a deer in the back of the neck at even 50 yrds. Much less 100yrds. And I wonder how many deer HAVE been shot in the rump and never recovered because somebody told them it was an ethical shot. "The Texas heart shot" is one of the most unethical shots with the neck and head shot being others. JMO.

I quoted Bob Hagel who had over 50 years experience in hunting and guiding hunters on big game. He has seen many hundreds if not thousands of head of big game killed and his experience is without equal, except for Elmer Keith (below). A heavy lead ball may penetrate deeply even at muzzleloader velocity.

Here is Ralph Berg Jr., MD, who wrote in the July-August 1975 Rifle Magazine "The Shot That Anchors- A rear-end shot is one of the most effective". He described killing an African Cape buffalo which he had wounded with a 300 grain Nosler .375 bullet (Nosler loading manual max is about 2400 fps- Herb) and a shot to the "foreback", behind the shoulder. The buffalo ran off as if unharmed, but then he put it down with a root of the tail shot. He wrote "This was my fourth head of big game shot in this manner without a miss or failure to completely immobilize the animal. The others were a trophy bull moose in the Yukon, a beautiful 56-inch kudu bull and a zebra stallion...

"My experience, plus reading and talking with hunters over the years, convinces me that the shot for the rear end of the nervous system is an often over-looked, misunderstood and underrated target for the big game rifleman. There is squeamishness about shooting an animal near the anal area. The large hams on either side make most hunters reluctant to risk meat damage or chance meat contamination. Actually, in the classic shot for the lungs or heart, fecal contamination can be as likely because the bowel lies right behind the diaphragm, as it partitions the heart and lungs away from the abdominal cavity. Therefore, in a quartering shot or in a shot placed too far back, the diaphragm and bowel are often penetrated.

"The practical knowledge of some anatomy and physiology is essential to precision riflery in big game hunting. The accompanying drawings amply demonstrate the large size available to the shooter when the target is the sacrum going away, or for that matter on side shots and on quartering shots as well. Even shots to one side or the other of the midline are effective since the high velocity missile transmits a form of hydraulic shock, and sends broken bones as secondary missiles, causing complete and instant paralysis of the animal. This is due to disruption of nerve fibres that have left the spinal cord. These nerves are assembled into cords before becoming named nerve trunks and comprise the sacral plexus. shot higher up the spinal canal damage the spinal cord itself producing this same effect. After the missile does the above damage, its continued forward progress can destroy the great vessels, liver, heart and lungs...(Which Carl's .50 roundball did).

"Though this discussion has primarily considered the sacral shot on dangerous game, which must be anchored, the same physiological factors apply to American game. Bear in mind that in woods hunting, or even in open country, the most often presented target is the animal's rear. At close range, he may be running almost directly away from you, at longer range, he's apt to run a ways, then stop, looking back over his shoulder. In either case, an attempt to shoot the neck, or penetrate the lungs with a raking quartering shot, is more likely to wound, or if a fatal hit, to destroy just as much meat, as a shot into the sacral area. With equally good bullet placement, death is instantaneous, or at least far quicker than a traditional heart/lung shot."

Elmer Keith in "Elmer Keith's Big Game Hunting", page 373: "If one desires to hit the heart from such broadside shots, then aim at the rear edge of the shoulder knuckle or just behind it. If using a light bullet high velocity rifle like the .270-130, the .30-06-150 or the .256 Newton 129-grain, then you should always shoot just to the rear of the shoulder knuckle. We have seen elk shoulder bones blow up and stop all these loads cold and they never got into the chest cavity at all. If long heavy bullets are used at moderate velocities, they will break the shoulder and drive on into the heart or through it, (as did Don's .58 round ball in the reference photos I posted above- not long, but 270 grains is heavy, and it broke the shoulder bone) but short, light, extremely high velocity missles will not do so on elk, moose or big bear. The heavy shoulder bones cause them to disintegrate."

By the way, what is an armakiller?

An Armakiller is one that the only animal he has shot with his muzzleloader is an armadillo :shake: So therefore Arma-killer. He was making so much noise rooting around that when he came into view I shot him. Been waiting on a nice size doe or buck to really break my muzzleloader in. I have passed up several does because they have been to small or been with fawns or yearlings. Hav'nt seen a buck yet. And this will be the 4th year I've hunted with it. BTW I have much respect for Mr. Keith. he is a expert shot, and I don't disagree with him taking the rump shot, with a high power rifle. I'm talking shooting an animal in the rump with a muzzleloader. Which I still don't think anybody should try regardless of skill, to many "what if" factors invovled for me.

armakiller said:
I'm talking shooting an animal in the rump with a muzzleloader. Which I still don't think anybody should try regardless of skill, to many "what if" factors invovled for me.

I agree. You may clip the femorial artery or renal/vana-cava veins or you may just loose all energy in the stomach contents before it reaches the liver/lungs/heart. Hit the pelvis or spine and you may or may not drop the deer but without follow-up it will take days to die if you don't locate it. The type of hunter I'd expect such a shot from doesn't imply a lot of tracking ability on wounded game. (If you're patient and thorough at tracking you'd likely have waited out or moved into a better shot angle). A round ball is the worst choice for a butt-shot of all firearm projectiles.

Back