• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Quit While I Was Ahead.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herb,
Good practical fix on that "owie!". Nothing like a patch and a good story to add character to a rifle. (I'd have told everybody I broke it while I was fighting off a rabid wolf... :bull: )

I hope a nice bull gets careless today and walks in front of your sights.

The 10th was the last day of the season, so I drove up towards Flaming Gorge to where I thought the elk would cross in their migration to their wintering grounds around Browns Park. Hoped to find tracks where they crossed, then go uphill into the woods hoping more would come along, but there was no more snow and no elk tracks. It was 2 degrees below zero on the way up, but about 11 degrees when I got there, 28 miles from home. So I parked my Park Avenue Buick along the highway and hiked up-mountain to a powerline clearing, looking for tracks. No elk tracks, but some deer. Here are two of them.
SnowDeer.jpg

Drove to another "crosssing" where I hunted a few years ago. No elk tracks. Back to the car, decided to see if there were any tracks crossing the highway. Went to the Flaming Gorge Dam turnoff, then 7 miles past it towards Manila, UT, looking for tracks. Saw some in about two miles, but kept going looking for a herd. Bob, who had been District Ranger for the USFS on Flaming Gorge District and knows this forest, and I hunted this area opening morning, no tracks. Now there were a lot of them, so I followed them down towards the Swett Ranch (private property, no hunting), and enjoyed seeing the tracks and droppings. Made about a mile loop down hill and back around to the car. Then crossed the highway to where the elk came down from the mountain, looking for their main route. Went about a half mile, mostly up hill, till I came to an open area where I could see about 150 yards most directions. Figured it was very unlikely to find an elk by walking so found a nice sunny spot, me in the shade, and settled down. About 30 degrees now. Tracks all over the place, but I don't think there was any new snow for the last week. Saw two deer. Spent 3 1/2 hours there, hoping more elk would come down-mountain to go to Swetts. Heard four shots about a half hour apart during that time, west of me, so apparently there were elk in there. Enjoyed watching the ravens are listening to their music.

When the shadows started getting long, I got out and went home. I had cell phone numbers for four friends who could come up and help me if I got an elk, but no cell phone, so I would have had to flag down a car or go to Red Canyon Lodge to call. My other option was to cut off the front and rear quarters individually, take the back straps and neck meat, and drag it down hill to my car. I think I was lucky not to get an elk, but had neutral hopes of doing so. On the way home, there were about 400 elk on the phosphate mine. There is another hope, I will sign up for depredations hunting. This is where a farmer or rancher has elk in his haystacks or whatever, and DWR issues kill permits. My friend Bill (of our Book Cliffs Flintlock elk hunt), killed a big bull that year, in 28 below zero weather, only about 10 miles from home. If DWR calls one to go kill an elk, I have several good people to help gut and load up and carry home. I would use my .58 flintlock for this.

I'll refinish the toe of my Hawken, then I think I'll sell it, because I have two more .58 barrels that I'd like to build into fullstock flintlock Hawkens. Don't think I'll hunt like this again next year, but If I do, I need a shorter and lighter rifle. Have a left-handed Lancaster (custom) flintlock .50 to get done before Christmas, and today is Theresa and my 56th wedding anniversary, so, thanks for reading.

Happy anniversary, to you and your spouse.
I'm sorry you didn't see anything, and glad :confused: you didn't get anything...
I have hunts the same way. Sometimes I'm in so far that I hope I don't see anything, cause there's noone around to help, but then I get back to the truck and curse because I didn't see anything.
At least you got out.

Back