• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ideal Shooting Pouch Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What has your experience taught you in this area? What made you arrive at the shooting pouch size you currently use? I'm looking to buy my first "official" shooting pouch and I'm trying to figure out what size it should be. Also, if it should have gussets, pockets, etc. Your help is greatly appreciated.

its all in what you carry in it and how long you will be out i use a 8 and one half inch by 6 inches with a 40 inch long strap with embrioded flap and bottom part of the pouch.it works good i like short straps more than long ones and i advise a button because i always used to drop stuff. but its all a personal thing :front:

Mine is 8 inches wide and 9 inches deep with a gusset just over 1 inch. It has 2 small pockets sewn on the inside back. Lots of room for what I use and can be packed with extras if the need comes up. The large beaver tail flap doesn't need a button or tie down. It stays closed by it's onw weight.

Britches

i beg to differ i had on that was 10 by 10 and it had a flap bigger than the bag and it still floped about and stuff still came out i had to walk two miles to find my keys back down by the susquahanna river right on a beach that floods. it was elk hide too so i always use buttons pretty much. also my bag has a pockets for my flints and a place for a ball starter that i dont use. :imo:

I have heard of people putting their powder horns on their bags so it will help keep the flap down. I haven't tried it, I always carry a flask sized flat horn inside my pouch. It stays dry and doesn't get in the way or get caught on branches. It also holds about a dozen charges. If I shoot more than that hunting and get no deer :shocking:, I'm leaving and going to the rifle range. :eek:

Mine's about 6-1/2" wide by 8-1/2" deep and shaped like a deer's heart.

Big enough to carry all that you need, not so big you're tempted to carry more than that.

PouchandHorn2.jpg

The horn on the bag sticks out too far. Over or under the bag is more streamlined.

I like a big bag, seems I take more then I need but I think thats better then needing things I didn't take, also have lots of pockets, it's hard to find things when there on top of each other.
:front:

TheGunCellar

My favored bag is approx. 8x8 with a 1 1/4" gusset, one interior partition, a large, shouldered, unbuttoned over-flap, and a way long strap [with a straight arm, my fist just reaches the bottom of the bag] Patch knife and powder measure attach to the strap. I carry my rifle on that side and that seems to help keep things secure.
~Longshot

There are about 4 idel size/type of bags that I like. But it all boils down to what feals right for YOU.

Hunting Bag- Small,6x6 to 7x7 just enough gear for the day.

Target Bag - Lg. 10x10 with Lg. Gusset 1 1/2" to 2", lots of stuff for shooting and cleaning.

Fowler Bag - Lg. 11-12" wide x 9" deep,dividers for wads and all the things you end up with.

Trek Bag - Med. 8"w x 8-9"d range whitch is about the avarage. A gusset of about 1" and a small ball,patch pocket in the back. A Short flap with button.

Each gun should have it's oun bag.

Stumpkiller, can I ask you what leather was used to make this bag. It looks soft and pliable, and I was wondering if it might be buckskin. I have some buckskin hides and was thinking about making a similar bag for hunting. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. :hatsoff:

Marc, 1st lay out everything you think you might need to take, then throw out everything but the few things that you will actually need, then make a pouch just large enough to hold those things. That way you won't be tempted to put those things you didn't really need back in.

My rifle bags are fairly small......probably 6"x9" or so.

My fowler bag is huge. It's like 10"x11". Of course, I go trekking the week of muzzy season and just about everything is fair game that week. I carry all the normal cleaning/shooting supplies plus balls and shot. Also, cards, wads etc. I dont' know how I'd size it down.

Real big bags look neat, but when I have done them, I never seem to be able to find enough stuff to fill them up with!

The one I'm using now is about 8 1/2" wide and 7" deep.

Back