• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If you could only have one book...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Gregory

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If you were starting out to build your own longrifle and could only have one book to go by what would that book be? Ill probably end up with more than one book but humor me please. I only want the best.

The Gunsmiths of Grenville County...... Twice as thick as most as it has twice the info in it..

I built my first rifle using R.H. McCrory's
The Modern Kentucky Rifle, however there are better books out there now.

I only mention the old classic to illustrate that anyone can build a decent gun from almost any book, but some books are better than others.

I like both, The Gunsmith of Grenville County, and Shumway's, Recreating the American Longrifle, as both have their own approach to building.

If I were to choose only one book for a beginner, it would be The Gunsmith of Grenville County simply because it goes into more detail on drawing plans and layout than the other books.

The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle by Chuck Dixon

It's the simplest to follow for the first construction. No pictures but super drawings. It also has some instruction for pre-carves.

Started w/ McCrory's little booklet then bought both issues of "Recreating....Rifle" by Buchele and then Alexander and lastly Dixon's book. Haven't bought Alexander's latest book. My standbys are both issues of "Recreating....Rifle" because of the definite sequence of operations which McCroy's and Dixon's books are a little vaque on. If Alexander's latest book enumerates the sequence of operations, then it's probably good also....Fred

Good choice. Dixon's is great too. I don't know if some of the newer books deal with the special challenges and advantages of working with kits and precarves but such a book is needed as few scratch build their first rifle anymore.

When's your publishing date for this new "how to from a kit" book"?.....Fred

I have all those books mentioned and a couple of DVDs in my possession. I would pick Peter Alexander's book, Gunsmith of Grenville. If you plan on building more than one, this is the one just because of the details. When I built my first one (a Hawken) I had to use all the Alexander articles from my Muzzleloader magazines as the book was yet done. I say it came out just fine. I'd change a couple of things, but otherwise just fine. It was way after completion that all the articles suggested first timers should NOT attempt a hawken style as their first build. However, I happened to have a ton of experience from woodworking and used to doing minor metal work so the build didn't present any major headaches. For the most part I'd say this was close from a Kit gun. I used the precarved stock from Pecatonica and all the other hardware I needed from other suppliers.
Also, there is a DVD from the late Ron Ehlert, showing how to put together a Chambers kit. Pricey, but can be valuable. Plus any Hershel House videos can be good too.
Good luck on your pursue and enjoy.
Gary

flehto said:
When's your publishing date for this new "how to from a kit" book"?.....Fred

I guess I'd have to build a rifle from a kit first! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I think it's needed, though. Short and to the point, highlighting the variety of kits from those you could assemble and shoot in the white today, to those requiring actual layout and architectural knowledge. "Kit" means a lot of different things.

Latest posts

Back