• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition temps of Subs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete D. said:
Just curious...does anyone know the ignition temperatures of Pyrodex and/or 777? BP?
Thanks,
Pete
Seems like I've read 600-700-ish somewhere...you might check Hodgdon's website

Black powder lowest temp: ~ 300 C, or 576 F
(varies slightly based on formula differences)

The interesting thing is that the subs are so high sulfurless bp is in the same range.
Sulfurless BP: ~400C, or 755 F.
(sulfur is in bp mainly to lower the ignition temperature)
I might just make up a batch and test it.
Sulfurless BP wouldn't smell like BP, but then it would have much less fouling since 80% of the smoke and residue in BP is from the sulfur.

BigDave

Ahh... I just searched old posts and found 777 is sulfurless BP spiked with a bit of perchlorate to increase it's power, and pyrodex is basicly a reduced sulfer BP spiked with perchlorate to increase power. That makes sense based on the power and ignition temps.

BigDave said:
Black powder lowest temp: ~ 300 C, or 576 F
(varies slightly based on formula differences)

The interesting thing is that the subs are so high sulfurless bp is in the same range.
Sulfurless BP: ~400C, or 755 F.
(sulfur is in bp mainly to lower the ignition temperature)
I might just make up a batch and test it.
Sulfurless BP wouldn't smell like BP, but then it would have much less fouling since 80% of the smoke and residue in BP is from the sulfur.

BigDave

Ahh... I just searched old posts and found 777 is sulfurless BP spiked with a bit of perchlorate to increase it's power, and pyrodex is basicly a reduced sulfer BP spiked with perchlorate to increase power. That makes sense based on the power and ignition temps.

Big Dave - thanks for the post. Where did you get your information?

Ulrich Bretschner's web site, the MSDS's for 777 and Pyrodex, and general experience with fireworks compositions.

Ulrich Bretscher's Black Powder Page

Note: You can pretty much ignore the graphite listed in the msds's, it's just a light surface coat to help the powder flow better and look prettier.

Back