• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm looking for thoughts on my plan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an important insight about Alaska hunting realities. By actual count, I put in about 60 days of small game and bird hunting for each single day of big game hunting. The shot count runs something like 200 shots at birds and small game for each shot at large game.

If I was moving here these days rather than 40 years ago, I wouldn't sell a single gun before leaving. Get to know the place and decide later whether anything needs to go. If you find a hot deal on a 20, whether a single or double, grab it. You'll keep looking for one after you get up here and get acquainted, so a hot deal is a hot deal whether now or later. My tastes and certainly the Alaska hunting opportunities in general lean toward small game, so I'd lean toward a double. But I happen to like doubles a lot, and there's nothing wrong with a single.

Big game? Dance with the gun that brung you meat in the past until after you've been here a while. Maybe you'll spot a hot number after you arrive and maybe not.
Thanks Bear. That, just what I'll do.

Although this does not fit with a traditional era approach, "Alaska" to me has a Mississippi Swamp element in that there are things, that will hunt humans. Therefore for the one gun approach would probably cause me to choose a .54 Pedersoli Sharps Sporting Rifle loaded with a 425gr hollow base, pointed, solid lead projectile.

This is great information. It really helps me to settle my thinking. I wanted to curb my desire to get several more guns so I was looking for a one gun cure. I already have my .50 so I think I'll add a shotgun first. I'm not sure about a double as I'll probably shoot myself reloading the spent barrel. The double would be fun though and the birds would be safe for a while until I get used to it. I'll watch the site and see what's available in the next few weeks. That way I'll have at least 2 functioning flintlock to take with me.
I have always wanted to sleeve the left barrel of a 12 guage double to something around .62", (rifled) have a nice sideXside rifle/smoothbore/combination gun.

Back