• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm not happy with Lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think of it as a free and practical lesson - NEVER use a bronze brush, tight patch jag, patch or ball puller on any rod where the threaded end hasn't been secured with a cross pin. You can even do it your-ownself: Drill a small hole completely thru the brass ferrule, transverse to the length of the rod, then tap in a tight piece of nail or wire. Trim the excess, peen it a little & file flush.

Blaming Lyman for your Faux pas is akin to blaming Chebby when you neglect to maintain the air in your tires & get a blow out.

Something else Lyman won't tell you is that an inch or so of the breech end of the barrel is reduced to around the diameter of a .38 bore brush.

I have a nylon .308 chamber brush that occasionally gets used to scrub down the bore & that little chamber on a couple of my rifles.

This is an old post chances are you got the brush out by now!!. If not you will need a slightly smaller diameter then your bore, length of copper pipe,, run the pipe down the bore pressing the wire brush inside and remove!!!

If folks can remember to give them a half turn to the right before trying to pull them out I think they will find brass brushes will work just fine and never stick. Also, it doesn't take a tight brass brush to scrub the corners of the grooves. All it has to do is be able to reach out that far when the bristles are extended. Mike D.

I have at times used a brass brush ...but ...its soooo much easier to just buy a nylon brush ....i use a .30 cal in my .32 squirrel rifle....works great doesnt get stuck. nylons brushes are the best alternative

Good morning, i have a lyman in 54 and a 50 tradition, the patent breech in both needs a scrapper(determine size of breech dia) then order from track, the flush method works great after using the scraper , the wooden ramrod is not that strong, get either a brass, alum, or steel range rod with bore guard,p.s. i have stuck a brush in my barrel, had to take breech plug out,did not do this again but still use a nylon brush with alum rod,just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Back