• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm not happy with Lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I always pin the ram rod tips, saves some aggravation. Also when I have to clean a particularly cruddy barrel, I use a brush that is undersized for the bore and wrap copper chore boy around it to fit the bore. Works like a charm and no bristles sticking the brush. I learned that from experience. :grin:
By the way when I have to pull a breech plug I always line the vise jaws with leather so as not to damage the barrel.

Matt85 said:
how cheap is a company that it doesnt install cross pins in the rod!

They must all be cheap companies, because I don't know of a single gun company that pins their rods. TC, Traditions, Lyman, Pedersoli. You name it.

Rifleman1776 is right on! Never use a brass brush to clean the bore of a muzzleloader. When you reverse direction, the bristles are jammed into the into the surface of the bore, scratching it. Please use a cloth patch on a cleaning jag on a range rod.

satwel said:
...the bristles are jammed into the into the surface of the bore, scratching it.

Never seen brass scratch steel. The physics aren't there. That's kinda why the Iron Age put the kibosh on all the guys still using Brass Age weapons.

But jam the brush? Heck yeah.

Rusty Nail,my Pedersoli's have the ramrod tips pinned,but the wood of the ramrod is junk like most other manufactured rods.It is so soft I would not trust it to pull anything with it,thus why you want a range rod.And to the original poster you cannot blame Lyman for a bad rod,especially in the Kit form.In the Kit it is your responsibility to put the ramrod together properly.Just sayin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never done a kit from Lyman, but the kits I have done from C.V.A. and T/C the parts for the ramrod were there but they needed to be assembled.................watch yer top knot........

Well, you did buy a kit.Just one of those things you do when you get kit gun, you finish what the factory started, so you save money. I bought my Lyman factory made, but I have built a non-kit gun and have done many other repairs, rebuilds, restorations on all sorts of guns over the years. If you have checked the threads here, you will see how all recommend getting a range rod and pinning a ramrod. Of course this is water over the dam now. I have no idea what the instructions in the kit tell you, but maybe read them first. :idunno:

The reason I use a brush is that the shooting patches I use are pre-lubed with Bore-Butter/Wonderlube. Tried eliminating the brush from cleaning awhile back. Started getting yellow streaks on my cleaning patches when everything else had been cleaned out. Without the brush I fear I'd get the 'Bore Butter buildup' that supposedly ruins accuracy.

That and if you've been shooting Minies and got the bore leaded up, a brush helps.

Still have a lot of those BB prelubed patches; but may shift to Ballistol or Hoppes 9 BP for patch lube if I can discard the brush.

For all those slamming me for using a brass brush, I refer you to Lyman's own directions: Lyman GPR On page 1, look under Directions: Item B and I quote
B. Brush out the following day using a nylon brush wrapped with 00
steel wool or a brass brush (must be under bore diameter to prevent
bristles from jamming at the breech of the barrel).
The brush wasn't the issue, the lack of physicalal attachment of the ram rod tip was the issue. The tip popped off with less than 5 pounds of pull. I've since epoxieded and cross pinned both ends.

BrownBear said:
Matt85 said:
how cheap is a company that it doesnt install cross pins in the rod!

They must all be cheap companies, because I don't know of a single gun company that pins their rods. TC, Traditions, Lyman, Pedersoli. You name it.

I have a Traditions St Louis Hawken and a Traditions Trapper pistol. Both of them have factory pinned ram rods.

Buford said:
Never done a kit from Lyman, but the kits I have done from C.V.A. and T/C the parts for the ramrod were there but they needed to be assembled.................watch yer top knot........

The Lyman rod was pre assembled. I didn't expect to have to disassemblele it just to re assemble it correctly. I think Lyman could save a lot of aggravationon by simply pinning the rod, or removing that brass brush reference from their instructions.

BTW: This is the first time I've ever used a brass brush on my muzzle loaders, and it will be the last. Guess the first step to any project is to throw the manual away. I usually just use an alcohol soaked patch.

I can tell you that my project Monday is to put cross pins in all of my rifle rods. I use them very seldom but when hunting I do. I have to do this! Geo. T.

That is why a kit needs all parts inspected. Before use. Did the instructons leave out that.
Make sure that
brush is not to tight.

Another option is using a centerfire bottle-necked rifle case, like a 30-30 Win. Cut the base off the case, and it will work like a funnel to center the bronze brush to the metal rod so you can screw it back in.

Back