• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

info on cva moutain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breech

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have come accross a cva mountain rifle that is made in usa,browned with maple stock and silver hardware.What is your opinion of this rifle and what is there approximate value.

Highgain, I have a friend who has one of the older ones and I have one of the new ones. Both shoot very well. Other than the wedge plates, both have iron hardware, not silver. It's omly a guess, but I would say if you can get one with a good barrel, around $150-$175 would be a good price.

Hank

I have built several of those in kit form when they had the german silver escutchons. They are reliable and sturdy guns which have a slower RB twist - 1-66 If I remember right. The new ones retail around $250 and I think have all steel furniture now. Having two barrel keys is a plus. :imo:

The original factory finished gun with the six sided ramrod ferrules and the Douglas barrel is worth about 300 in top condition. The kit guns a little less determeined by the shape they are in. The later guns without the Douglas barrel are worth about 100 to 200, depending on condition. DeerCreek will sell you the parts to build one for 210 or so in percussion and 230 in flint. Last I knew, CVA/BPI still had about 100 of the last batch they had made. Since they have moved out of the traditional market completely now, someone has them for sale somewhere. The guns handle well, are accurate, and seem to be about as PC as any of the factory guns out there. I refinished mine when I got it and the stock is very slim now. There is not a lot of meat to work with if the one you are looking at is rough. Mine was fine, but I never could just leave things alone. The locks are the weakest point with tumbler problems being the main complaint. CVA recut the full cock notch on mine twice and it failed again in a few shots both times. I had to go buy a lock to get it to where it could be trusted again. The pistol lock is the same with one mounting bolt hole drilled differently and no fly. I put pistol parts on the old plate as a backup lock just in case I ever have problems again. The thin German silver front sight is pretty, but it is useless. The slightest bump will bend it and it is easy to lose on target because it is so thin. The rear is very nice.

Yea its factory finished and has the six sided furrels.Its in almost mint condition and has a real pretty maple stock.Hes asked 200.00for it.

Mine sat in the rack for about 10-15 years as I messed with other guns...I have the curse of too many guns, not enough shooting time...I dug it out last year, to give it away, and luckily the gift recipient decided they didn't want it..I started shooting it out of nostalgia...it is the most accurate rifle I own...have improved my average by quite a lot...if you don't want it, I'll buy that gun for $200...Hank

Well Hank I went ahead and bouht it as I dont have a 45cal and they are hard to find in this type of rifle,thanks.

Hi,Is your rifle that you are having trouble with a usa model.This one has never been fired and has hung on the wall since it was purchased in 1975.I was with a friend and went to his parents house with him to help install a water heater and seen it.I asked about it and the man offered to sell it to me.He thought he may have the box for it in his attic but dont know yet.I never cocked it but figured since it has never been cocked everything works the way it should.

Mine is the USA model, yes. Mine had lock problems, but it is hard to blame it on CVA seeing that this gun has lots of shots thru it. My gun has been in active use since it was built.

Back