• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Info please.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyLongbeard

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've looked at the definitions and just want to clarify.
I shoot a CVA Plainsman .50cal wooden stock iron site sidelock percussion. Is this considered Traditional?
Thanks.

That all depends who your asking. For this area of posting I believe you'll find that it's considered traditional.

Chuck

It is traditional for this board as it is a sidelock ML gun.

It is also a very good start for most people in other meanings of the term. I started with something similar.

However, percussion puts you into the 18teens era at the earliest.

Some view flint as the really traditional dividing line while others hold out for slow match.
We seem to be on a regressive march back in time and people focus on their favorite time as the line for "Traditional".

Me? I like all of the guns that loaded from the front and have some sort of direct connection with history.

YMHS,
CrackStock

Yes, especially if it carries iron non-adjustable sights. you're welcome to shoot it with me any time. My wife kills groundhogs at 50yards with her CVA Hawken, usually dispatching them with a galena pellet under the ear. Good gun, fine for a later portrayl.

Technically speaking, though, it's traditionally "styled", but not an actual reproduction of any particular gun. It does, however, qualify for all TMA shoots, matches, and arguments.

Fixed sights for sure. My dad and I have both taken does with it. I found out it likes the round ball. We tried the newer sabot but accuracy was way off. Went back to the ball and shot groups improved alot!

Not to be too picky, but percussion probably puts you into the 1820s in this country :), not 18 teens. In the east some hunters were using percussion by 1825 or so, but out west and in the rural south flintlocks held on alot longer--till the Civil War in some areas. :peace: :m2c:

Back