• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Information on the Culloden Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben is retired, I would contact Ed Rayl, he has a few blunderbuss patterns.
Thank you for that information. I was thinking Ed Rayl had retired, too, or at least stopped taking orders. It’s good to know he is still making barrels.

In browsing around, I found that Military Heritage has a brass-barreled 18th century blunderbuss. We don’t need to get into the “India-made guns” bashing… I’m just pointing out something I found. The write-up about this gun on the Military Heritage website references the Culloden blunderbuss, although their gun is not a copy of it. They also state the brass barrel on their blunderbuss is turned from solid bar stock, although I noted it appeared to be octagon-to-round.

For what it’s worth…

Notchy Bob

Strange how the dog latch is positioned hanging down like that. How is that lock resting at “Half cock” without the dog engaged? Unless the mainspring is missing or broken…
Ive never seen this gun but its possible some person had the lock out & put it back as the Dog catch should not spin round like that, a protrusion generally prevents it spinning under neath . Re 'English Lock' they generally have a half cock .The dog just an added feature if some Do rely on the Dog .I doubt the M spring is broken it wouldnt affect the dog any . Nice gun with a colorful Provenance .The balls might be 36 or 40 cal ish. I put one together with a cast Brounze barrel not the most usefull gun.
Rudyard

According to the museum website, “The blunderbuss we have on display at Culloden was made around 1670 by John Finch, a leading London firearms maker, and is a rare survivor of its type.”
I’m surprised it has such an early date by how it looks. Interesting.
And those are the smallest butt plate screw heads I ever saw on a musket-type butt plate.

Hello,

I’m looking for information on the so called “Culloden Blunderbuss”, a blunderbuss that was recovered from the battle of Culloden in Scotland. Information on it is very limited but I was hoping someone knew the technical specs and dimensions of it as I’d like to replicate it sometime soon. Also if anyone has leads on blunderbuss barrels I’d gladly take them too. I apologize if this is the wrong thread but I couldn’t decide which one to post on. From what I have found, it was a brass barrel(clearly), was discovered with 18 balls in it(doesn’t specify size), is an English style Doglock so it was presumably captured by the Scot’s from the British at some point and from my guess it’s probably around a 20” barrel. Pictures of it are scarce as well. Thanks!View attachment 331058
Your Screw heads might be Nails hard to see. Regards Rudyard

CULLODEN BLUNDERBUSS.jpg

From the BBC:

Made in the 1670s by John Finch, a leading London firearms maker, NTS said the blunderbuss was a rare survivor of its type.

An inscription on the gun reads: "Taken at the battle of Culloden 16 April 1746 by Captain John Goodenough with 18 balls in it."

Bonnie Prince Charlie's Jacobite force was defeated by a government army in the Battle of Culloden, near Inverness.

Capt Goodenough fought on the government side in Blakeney's 27th Foot Regiment.

LD

Nobody to my knowledge is making a Blunderbuss barrel of that shape. The last one I did required cutting the barrel from solid stock. I believe you would need at least 2,5 but preferably 3 inch stock as a minimum. Here are a couple similar pieces I've done.

Attachments

• 483907_459368664087599_2115285665_n.jpg
    483907_459368664087599_2115285665_n.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2022-12-12-20-46-46-144.jpg
    IMG_2022-12-12-20-46-46-144.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 0
Nobody to my knowledge is making a Blunderbuss barrel of that shape. The last one I did required cutting the barrel from solid stock. I believe you would need at least 2,5 but preferably 3 inch stock as a minimum. Here are a couple similar pieces I've done.
Miquelet blunderbuss?? I love it! Beautiful work as always!

Thank you for that information. I was thinking Ed Rayl had retired, too, or at least stopped taking orders. It’s good to know he is still making barrels.

In browsing around, I found that Military Heritage has a brass-barreled 18th century blunderbuss. We don’t need to get into the “India-made guns” bashing… I’m just pointing out something I found. The write-up about this gun on the Military Heritage website references the Culloden blunderbuss, although their gun is not a copy of it. They also state the brass barrel on their blunderbuss is turned from solid bar stock, although I noted it appeared to be octagon-to-round.

For what it’s worth…

Notchy Bob
Your views are worth a great deal always welcome to me . I've one I sold via Dixons & two went to Alberta only made 4 & a two shot Musketoon late 17 th not dissimilar to the Collodon piece, gone now might have a pic. Allways amusing in any gathering .
Regards Rudyard

Hello,

I’m looking for information on the so called “Culloden Blunderbuss”, a blunderbuss that was recovered from the battle of Culloden in Scotland. Information on it is very limited but I was hoping someone knew the technical specs and dimensions of it as I’d like to replicate it sometime soon. Also if anyone has leads on blunderbuss barrels I’d gladly take them too. I apologize if this is the wrong thread but I couldn’t decide which one to post on. From what I have found, it was a brass barrel(clearly), was discovered with 18 balls in it(doesn’t specify size), is an English style Doglock so it was presumably captured by the Scot’s from the British at some point and from my guess it’s probably around a 20” barrel. Pictures of it are scarce as well. Thanks!View attachment 331058
One problem with the Culloden Blunderbuss is the Scots didn't have enough of them!

Back