• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Information Only Post - Hunting Load I've Developed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Here is a slightly different approach to a post.
It's some hunting load information I’m sharing in case anyone can get any ideas from it.
Not "recommending" anything, only sharing what "I" use in my modern steel GM & Rice barrels.
DISCLAIMER - This is strictly an INFORMATIONAL post only
1>None of this may be new news to anyone
2>Its purpose is to share information that might be of interest to someone;
3>It is not being posted asking for agreement, approval, disapproval, etc.
4>If it’s of no interest to you, ignore it;
5>If it doesn’t apply to you, your equipment, your style, your location, etc, ignore it;
6>If you dislike or disagree with it, ignore it;
7>If you’d prefer not to see these kinds of posts, ignore them;
Just ensuring the purpose is clear...INFORMATION ONLY...take it or leave it.
:grin:

My experience testing & hunting the .54cal/.28ga smoothbore has proven to me that it has a lot more flexibility with shot loads than I originally thought just from the typical discussions I've seen / read about on forums like this. Ordinarily the load data often repeated is nothing more than modern shot load information from a modern .28ga shotgun shell with its limitations of a 2+3/4" hull.

What I’ve learned underscores the old adage: "Little powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead".
An associated finding in the field is that long shot strings are really beneficial to small stationary targets like a squirrel, turkey skull / neck vertebrae, etc.
Following that "Little powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead" approach...with a strict eye towards avoiding any excessive pressure...I use the caliber’s largest weight lead conical as sort of a max payload guide, and I use FAR LESS powder so pressure is never an issue for me.

As one reference example, T/C's published load data has been around for almost a half century now, and their chart includes a heavy .54cal conical around 550grns with 120grns of Goex.
Using that as a guide, I use a 100grn measure of #5 or #6 shot which weighs about the same, and I only use 60grns of powder...(only 50% of T/C”˜s powder charge for their heavy conical).

One result is this .54cal/.28ga Turkey Load:
60grns Goex / Circle Fly 1/2" cushion wad / 100grn measure of hard #6s / 2 Circle Fly OS cards
3.5" tuna can at 25yds, 42" Cylinder Bore Rice barrel.

05301125ydTunaCanTestsNo6s25yds.jpg

Roundball
Just wondering.......why 2 overshot cards? Just curious as I have been using only one...... I did try my fowling piece [28ga.] at a measured 30 yds. with 50g. of fffg and 70g. volume of # 7 1/2 shot with open choke and put 14 pellets in a coke can. I'm thinking that might be fine for rabbit & squirrels?
Macon

Macon Due said:
why 2 overshot cards?
For added insurance that the double OS card will hold everything together.

# 7 1/2 shot with open choke and put 14 pellets in a coke can. I'm thinking that might be fine for rabbit & squirrels?

Personally I would not trust 7.5's for squirrels at 30yds.
Remember, small size light shot will fill in a pattern better and make it look good...BUT...you still have to have 'penetration' that comes from larger/heavier shot pellets.
I use the steel soup or tuna can approach (coke can is basically aluminum foil...LOL)...if your #7.5s will penetrate a steel soup or tuna can at that 30yds, go for it...but I'd be surprised if they do unless you push them pretty hard...but then if you up the velocity the pattern will probably open up thinner.
The whole effort is finding that balance point of best pattern density & max distance that you also get strong penetration.

gmww said:
:thumbsup: Thanks! Care to do one for my .62? :grin:
Speaking only for myself, I've used these two loads for turkeys in my strong modern GM & Rice .62cal smoothbore barrels:

80grn measure Goex 3F
2 Oxyoke 1/8" wool wads
120grn measure #6s
2 Circle Fly OS cards

70grn measure Goex 3F
2 Oxyoke 1/8" wool wads
130grn measure Chilled #4s
2 Circle Fly OS cards

Most of the time in my J. Brown cylinder bore 20 ga. for turkeys I load:

90 gr. 3F Goex
1 card of 1/8" + 1 lubricated cushion wad of 1/2"
1 3/8 oz./90 gr. chilled #6 shot
1 Circle Fly thin overshot card

In my 20 ga. Colerain turkey barrel, 38", I load:

95 gr. 2F Goex
2 cards of 1/8", Circle Fly
1 1/2 oz./95 gr. chilled #6 shot
1 Circle Fly thin overshot card

If I vary these loads it usually is to add more shot.

Both these loads have taken several turkeys.

Spence

:thumbsup: I need to get my sorry @ss out and do some shooting. I got two smoothies that have never been shot. These loads will give me a stating. :hatsoff:

gmww said:
:thumbsup: I need to get my sorry @ss out and do some shooting. I got two smoothies that have never been shot. These loads will give me a stating.
Conventional wisdom is to always start out with lower charges and work up. It took me quite a while to end up with those charges.

Spence

Be interested in seeing a 30" x30" pattern sheet with this load..Willing to send some white pattern paper if needed!..Thanks RB!

05301125ydTunaCanTestsNo6s25yds.jpg

[/quote]

Well, don't really do much of that type patterning as my main shot load interest out of smoothbores is small game hunting involving fairly small stationary targets like squirrels and turkey heads.
And since I'm no longer involved in hunting much flying game my mindset is pretty much geared towards small tight patterns using 8.5"x11" turkey head/neck target sheets and/or little 3.5" can bottoms...for the world, using the .54cal/.28ga smoothbore as a "shot rifle" for those types of game if you get my drift.

Thanks for doing the research and post roundball. Lotta guys are good at spouting rules without ever doing their own shooting and experiments. They kinda make my hindmost teeth hurt, they get so bothersome.

Good to hear once in a while from folks that shoot rather than type. :thumbsup:

Roundball
Thanks for your input,I will try it on a tuna can next time I can get out. Will try various sizes of shot as well.
Macon

Back