• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Initial thoughts on my new Pietta 1858

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choctaw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this revolver (8 inch barrel model) about two weeks ago from Cabelas and got the revolver starter pack thing for free. Didn't really need it because I have tons of gear, but it was free...

Anyway, I carry a black plastic pistol for a living and haven't fired a revolver, much less a BP pistol, in quite a while. So I figured today was the day.

My range session wasn't very scientific. My "range" is actually a CRP field in the middle of nowhere. The session was conducted standing and freehand with a 21 mph crosswind gusting to 28 (well, it may be just a little scientific :grin: ). I was shooting at 20 yards and only had time for six rounds. My first shot went high (that drew a snicker from my oldest son), but the next five grouped very nicely. They grouped two to three inches to the left but were right on elevation-wise. I have no doubt the left point of impact is contributed solely to my grip and will be corrected during the next session.

I was shooting whatever size "44" ball comes in the Cabelas revolver kit over 30 grains of Goex FFFg and using Wonder wads and Wonder seals. The only hangup was the CCI No. 11 caps were much too big for the nipples and required me to pinch them. I've always been leery about pinching caps because I suspect a loose or improperly seated cap could cause a chain fire. I don't know for sure but it seems reasonable.

Anyway, it is nice to be back into BP pistol shooting again. I had forgotten how relaxing it is.

Choctaw,

I've enjoyed my '58 Pietta/Remington .44 for maybe twenty years. I got mine from Cabela's also(mail order), it was on sale for just under one hundred Yankee greenbacks. :) Was also pleasantly surprised by its accuracy when I benched it on paper. Used it during my cowboy action shooting heyday, putting well over a thousand roundballs through it at the time. I too first started out with No.11 caps and had to pinch them. Soon switched to No.10s and never had a problem with a cap falling off afterwards. As Buffalo Bill commented on his original 'back in the day', "It never failed me." I don't get to shoot much anymore but do enjoy handling it occassionally. They're great pistols. I hope you and your son experience many years of safe enjoyment from yours. :hatsoff:

Thanks Cleburne. I'm going to attempt to locate some No 10's today. Local stores have the 11's, not sure about 10's. I think I will also order Tresso nipples from Track of the Wolf.

My son did the loading and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next session.

Sounds like you had a really good time shooting today.

The Treso nipples will definitely make a difference. They did on my gun and the #11's now fit perfectly. I think they are a good investment - #11 caps seem to be more readily available most of the time.

The wind may have had something to do with you POI being to the left. Shoot on a calm day and you may see a difference. Also try 22 or 25 grain loads. They may work better in your gun.

Good luck with the new gun. Next you will want a single shot pistol. They clean up a lot faster and are much more accurate for me.

sounds great. I got the same one about 2 weeks ago BUT the weather here has been so bad I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Anyone know what the actual size of the RBs are that come in the starter kits? I'm hoping they're .454 and not .451s. Oh I was told to use the Remington #10 caps. Right now waiting to get a 200gr and 240gr conical from Kaido to see if I can load them without modify my 1858 or removing the cylinder.

CKeshen: I'm pretty sure I was thumbing the grips a bit. I carry a large frame semi-auto at work and the grip on my 1858 is much smaller. Years ago I suffered a duty related injury to my right hand and still have problems with my grip from time to time. Plus I'm getting older :doh: . I was very happy with the group though. I think you are right about getting a single shot. I have had a couple of Lyman Plains Pistols in the past and would like to have another one.

Mike: I'm not sure about the ball size. You will definitely shave lead when loading the chambers though.

I've picked up two of these over the last 3 years when they went on sale. Very good fit and finish and more accurate than I am. The round balls in the starter kit are .451 as I recall, which is OK but mine do slightly better with .454 RB. Your results may vary.

Welcome back to BP revolvers. Comfortable to shoot, accurate, and I love the slower pace. I think they make a good teaching tool, as well. With basic cleaning and maintenance, these repros can last for decades.

Jeff

Well I really wish I knew for sure about the RBs in the starter kit. I did check it a digital micrometer and although it only read in hundredths it also had in tenths of an inch. So the actual reading was .45 plus between 40-50 tenths of an inch. So I have a pretty good feeling they're .454s. I just wanted to see if anyone was 100% sure. Thanks.

I think I figured wrong in my last comment. I'll just shoot up the 30 RBs that came in the kit and then work on accuracy loads with either .454 RBs or conicals and Goex 3F instead of the Pyrodex P.

Back