• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting observations at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Took my .54 Lyman GPH perc out yesterday. I had previously cast up some Maxis. They were sorted by weight and took the lighter weight ones out to see how much difference weight variances would matter on paper. A perfect ball is supposed to weigh 430g and these weighed from 416 to 421. I had labeled these as "range only". Also I had lubed them in 4/23 and the lube was dry and pretty hard. Load was 90g 2F.
1. The 15 shot group was about palm sized with several cutting figure 8's. There were 2 flyers about 3" out of the group.
2. Even though the lube was dry I was able to shoot a total of 20 rounds without cleaning the barrel. FWIW my barrel is coned.
3. After shooting the light weights I switched to 430g balls and they shot to the same POI as the lighter ones but with better grouping.
If I had been deer hunting all of these would have scored a hit although the flyers would have been outside the vital zone but not by much.
I am only providing observations here, not conclusions. Please draw your own.

Took my .54 Lyman GPH perc out yesterday. I had previously cast up some Maxis. They were sorted by weight and took the lighter weight ones out to see how much difference weight variances would matter on paper. A perfect ball is supposed to weigh 430g and these weighed from 416 to 421. I had labeled these as "range only". Also I had lubed them in 4/23 and the lube was dry and pretty hard. Load was 90g 2F.
1. The 15 shot group was about palm sized with several cutting figure 8's. There were 2 flyers about 3" out of the group.
2. Even though the lube was dry I was able to shoot a total of 20 rounds without cleaning the barrel. FWIW my barrel is coned.
3. After shooting the light weights I switched to 430g balls and they shot to the same POI as the lighter ones but with better grouping.
If I had been deer hunting all of these would have scored a hit although the flyers would have been outside the vital zone but not by much.
I am only providing observations here, not conclusions. Please draw your own.
Nothing strange about your results! Long distances will give a slightly different result I would think?

Back