• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iron mounted rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the barrel is straight then changing the furniture will not really bring it up to the Pc/HC level most likely, if making an iron ,mounted pre 1790ish gun I would use a known existing gun as a pattern due to the scarcity of originals to support the use of iron, it is kind of like comming up with a non Fergusson breechloader flintlock in 1778, when things are very rare specific examples should be followed in my judgement if one wants to hang the old PC/HC label on them or one can wander into fantasy land pretty easily.

IMO, if one is planning on doing serious re-enacting, having a historically correct gun is very important.

If one plans on never doing any re-enacting a little fantasy isn't a bad thing.

"If one plans on never doing any re-enacting a little fantasy isn't a bad thing."

Problem is it often gets passed off as reality to those who do not know any better, a "bad thing" I figured you were aware of that concept.

If passing off as reality means telling someone a newly made rifle is 250 years old, I agree that this is bad and doing so is fraudulent.

I'm well aware of your feelings that everything should be "historically accurate" and if it is not it cannot be "good", however, I'm sure you are aware of the fact that the vast majority of the people who are interested in owning a nice longrifle are not interested in re-enacting and they don't care if something about a gun is not exactly correct. IMO, there is nothing wrong with that.

There might even be a few people who wouldn't mind owning one of my straight barreled Pennsylvania style longrifles complete with their German Silver furniture. I know I enjoy owning them. :)
gungroup1.jpg

TG :idunno:
Why throw rocks? If it ain't original it probably has modern steel instead of iron.Embrace folks don't drive them off. Look around life is picking off folks our age one by one. Who is behind you??
Nit Wit

Just to clarify things for my old mind, is it your contention that no one should produce or own a muzzle loader that is not historically accurate in every detail? Traceable to known examples? That is the way I perceive your posts. Am I wrong in my perception?
Mike

"I have an iron mounted transitional rifle. How far back are iron rifles documented?"

That is from the first post so I thought that PC/HC was a valid topic to approach I have never metioned tha everyone has or should have a PC/HC gun only that it is wise to know the difference so an informed choice can be made when making a purchase if history is an important part of what he wants don't read something that is not there.Obviously the majority here do not have much use for the historical aspect of these guns but a few may find some usefull information when such is posted.My point of using an original as a pattern was for very rare items not common, once again if historical accuracy is important, Gee I never thought about the original barrels being iron....even though that has become an accepted thing with any re-enactment group or HC/PC builder for obvious reasons.It is amazing how so many folks wet themselves if one mentions anything about the historical aspects of these guns, even after asking the questions.

I for one do not believe Tg was saying no such thing. I read the original post and I was left with the idea that Shine was trying to be as PC /HC as possible by changing the furniture on his gun. If not ,why ask if there were any Iron furniture Transitional long rifles. Why not ask if it was doable and let the rest be.
I don’t have a dog in this fight as I do not own any rifles of any sort. But, what I see and the reason for speaking up is that we have a crowd here that likes to do as they please when it serves them and slap around those of us that want to do things closely related to the times gone buy. And if someone thinks by having more participate in these kind of forums with out any care or guide line is a good thing to our sport ,they should take a trip to Friendship and see what it has become”¦

Twice.

My question was in response to this post you made.

In response to Zonie

"If one plans on never doing any re-enacting a little fantasy isn't a bad thing."

Problem is it often gets passed off as reality to those who do not know any better, a "bad thing" I figured you were aware of that concept.

If you say thats not what you intended, then you answered my question.
Thanks for your response.
Mike

"If you say thats not what you intended, then you answered my question.
Thanks for your response.
Mike"

Mike, my intention is always based on trying to make available as much information as there is about the traditional, HC/PC level of any gun being refered to on the forum as it is a valid part of any definition or description of any ML, particularly on a forum which in part is dedicated to "Keeping Tradition Alive" what anyone does with this information is entirely an individual choice and is of no concern to me, unless it is incorrectly passed along mistakenly trying to classify something into a realm where it does not belong for whatever reason intentional or accidental. For some reason if the term HC/PC is even mentioned some folks get all worked up no matter how "gentel" the information is presented and usually by the same people for the most part when it come to the habitualy offended individuals, which is fine as the information is still there for those who are interested. A Happy New year to ALL.... you to Paul :thumbsup:

Back