• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is A 28 ga Enough?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like a smoothbore barrel for my Lyman's Deerstalker. The largest I can find for the 15/16 is a 28 ga.

I see on one chart that 100 grns of 2F will push a 435 grn Maxi to ~1459 fps from a .54 cal, which should be more than enough up close.

Is a 28 ga using 1 oz of #4 or 5 shot be enough for turkey? It's legal here, but sounds minimal at best.

I've not seen any load data for muzzleloading shotguns. How far can one take it with shot charges? I realize if I went heavier on the shot I'd need to reduce the powder charge charge, but by how much?

probably will not know until you pattern. with the smaller gauges for turkeys you do not want bigger than 6's and maybe even 7-1/2's depending on the range the 6's provide. your trying to hit a target the size of a pencil when shooting turkeys. Killed them with 410's and 7-1/2s out to 25yards. You might also want to look for hevi shot in 7's that should pattern better than lead and give enough energy to snap a turkey neck at 35yds, depending on your load. I'm also a fan of no.2's and shooting them in the back with the small gauges.
28ga is enough to kill a turkey you just have to test and see what distance that is. 10yds or 35yds. Got to do your homework.

The range was what I was concerned with. I figured with it being a smoothbore it'll likely not put enough together beyond maybe 20 yds.

Yes, I have used a 1 3/8 load of 5s in a paper shot cup with 75 grains for 2F. All shots inside of 25 yards.

what do you think your maximum distance you would be willing to limit yourself to? I know 1150fps with 7-1/2's has enough energy for a clean kill shooting them in the head/neck out to 25yds. at those short ranges the small shot works fine. There are 125 more pellets in a 1oz load of 7-1/2 vise 6's, so that's quite a few more pellets to hit/break that neck.

My understanding is that with a smoothbore the pattern can be made tighter by increasing the shot weight.

I'm reaching here, but would it be fair to guess that #6 shot would need to be moving at a minimum of 1250 fps or so to be useful out to 35 yds on turkey?

Are there any load charts that would give an idea of powder charge/shot charge muzzle velocity?

rodwha said:
The range was what I was concerned with. I figured with it being a smoothbore it'll likely not put enough together beyond maybe 20 yds.
Here's a pattern at 25 yards from a 28 ga. smooth rifle, 70 gr. FFg and equal #6. I touched the pellet holes with a Sharpie so you can see them better.

Spence

I figure 25 yds is reasonable, but was hoping that 30-35 yds could be doable. I know there are times in which 25 yds can be short.

I must mention that hunting turkey is new to me. I must claim ignorance.

All I've ever hunted with a shotgun were rabbits, dove, and quail.

The patter from spence there shows that it is out of my comfort zone to take a turkey at that range. I would try the 7-1/2 to increase the density. if trying to get to 30yds with that gun I would buy some hevi shot 7's. It would tighten it up and increase pellet count. But every gun is different.

I was wondering if that was the far end of enough pattern.

Would increasing the number of pellets also help, not only adding some to the pattern, but also tightening it up as the velocity will decrease?

Well I believe if you get that barrel your looking at shooting turkeys within 25yds. General something for the more advance turkey hunter to do, because you got to pass on shots that would be easy for other options. But if you want to do it for the challenge that is another story. Purrs and 7-1/2's will be your friend.

Though I do like a challenge I'm not looking for one.

It seems the larger smoothbores all cost quite a bit. 28 ga seems to be the largest anyone is willing to drop into my 15/16 stock.

The idea of eating a turkey I brought home from the field sits well with me. And it's another reason to enjoy the peace and quiet of the outdoors!!!

rodwha said:
You mentioned "70 gr. FFg and equal #6." Is that 70 grns of #6 shot?
Knowing Spence, that would instead be a shorthand reference for a 70gr powder measure full of shot, which should give around one ounce, depending on shot size.

Regards,
Joel

I have dropped many rabbits and pheasants with my 28 gauge using # 6 shot. You might want to do a "penetration test" for killing power. The old stand by is if it will penetrate a tin can it will kill a bird. I like to use a paper shot cartridge made by rolling three thickness of newsprint around a dowel rod, tie shut with kite string, filling with shot twist, fold over and tie shut. I have dropped geese with it out to twenty five yards- clean kills.

Joel/Calgary said:
rodwha said:
You mentioned "70 gr. FFg and equal #6." Is that 70 grns of #6 shot?
Knowing Spence, that would instead be a shorthand reference for a 70gr powder measure full of shot, which should give around one ounce, depending on shot size.

Regards,
Joel

Joel is right. By "equal" I mean powder and shot both measured with the same measure. A 70 grain powder measure will throw just about 1 ounce of shot.

This is called an equal volume load, or a square load, and is an excellent place to start when working up a shot load for any gun.

I don't expect to get a reliable turkey-killing pattern from any cylinder bore out past 25 yards, and most won't do that. I'm very surprised to be able to do it with this old original 28 gauge.

Spence

I dont have turkey but see what all the fuss is over. You gotta go for its head yeah...... So any squirrel getting or rabbit n' dove gettin' load is gonna do it......no?

B.

Latest posts

Back