• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is A 28 ga Enough?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roundball I would have to respectfully disagree. It does have barring on the matter if BP guns shoot in the 1150-1200 fps range(Which I read here is very possible). As I have used those velocities to take many turkeys.
And agree you have to test and see what your particular gun likes and test/patter it several times.

You can disagree all you want...LOL.

I simply spoke from a number of years actual hands on black powder experience with several turkeys from several differently configured 20ga flintlocks with several different powder/wad/shot load configurations...and I posted that blackpowder experience.

When you get some years of blackpowder/turkey experiences you should post yours too...

I guess lead weighs differently and fly's slower out of a BP gun when shot at 1200fps. LOL.

Yes, keyboard theory is alive and well, LOL...unfortunately it misses the reality of the environment, ergo misses the mark.

Anyone with actual blackpowder smoothbore load developemt experience knows you can't get effective hunting patterns out of blackpowder smoothbores while not using shotcups unless they back down the powder charges to avoid blowing patterns from things like pellet deformation, etc.

Reduced powder charges = reduced velocity.

This is one area of blackpowder muzzleloader hunting where an old hand-me-down saying continues to be true today:
"Little powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead"

I would love to turkey hunt with mine Kentucky Law says no. you can always bore the barrel a little pattern checking . you may find on the 28 use 2 hard wads of.125 thick each over powder will do a lot better than a cushion wad you will donut hole with KYBill

Latest posts

Back