• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is brake cleaner bad?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I discovered T/C 13 I would use starting fluid [spray]. It degreases without residue. I found it best to use downwind from a fan. I use a can full of ammonia for the initial flush out.

Brake cleaner will turn a plastic bore brush into a mass of goo.

If you wish to just use home style [cheap] stuff, you can do the flush-pump with ammonia flush that out with water, dry it with compressed air or the hair drier. Once clean, the final oil is ATF. Dirt cheap and will not varnish like motor oils.

There are as many cleaning methods as members here. Most work. Be careful about using some home cleaning products as many will remove blueing.

P.A.

FRJ said:
As a auto mechanic/technician for over 40 years I used brake clean on a daily basis. It is a great cleaner and washes away dirt and grime better than anything I've ever used. It does however also really clean up oil as well so make sure to lube up anything that needs it as there wont be any lube left after using brake clean. FRJ

I have used carburetor cleaner for a long time on chores like this. What is the difference between carb cleaner and brake cleaner?

Rifleman1776 said:
FRJ said:
As a auto mechanic/technician for over 40 years I used brake clean on a daily basis. It is a great cleaner and washes away dirt and grime better than anything I've ever used. It does however also really clean up oil as well so make sure to lube up anything that needs it as there wont be any lube left after using brake clean. FRJ

I have used carburetor cleaner for a long time on chores like this. What is the difference between carb cleaner and brake cleaner?

I thought I'd get a woman's thoughts on what the difference is so I asked my wife and I quote, "Well, they're just different; that's all". Okay, you heard it. :thumbsup:

Break cleaner does a wonderfull job cleaning, it is also a known cancer causer. read the MSDS for it before using it.

As far as their effects on you they are about the same, use with caution. Both will also remove all the oil from the metal.

"Well, they're just different; that's all" :confused: :haha: :rotf:

Brake cleaner in an aerosol can can be very useful in clearning oil from a flash channel In the field, I use it just before I begin shooting, a squirt down the muzzle with the nipple plugged, patch to clean out the excess, then pop some caps to confirm the flash channel is open.

At home I use compressed air through the nipple to blow it out. I'd do this no more than a few hours before shooting as I'm not certain what a long-term soak in brake cleaner would do.

The Beretta O/U is notorious for misfires on the lower barrel with the long flash channel. Brake fluid cleaning has essentially resolved this problem by removing the oils which somehow cause malfunctions ... maybe powder clogs up or is "killed" by the oils, I don't know.

As others on this post have said, be careful to avoid inhaling the fumes, skin contact, or stock finish.

Happy shooting!

Back