• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it a Renegade ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi- I am new to this forum , but I really enjoy it. I may have a dumb question about my rifle, I have had it for years. It appears to be a Thompson Center Renegade. This last week-in ,I was at the range with a friend shooting our BP rifles ( he also have a Thompson Center Renegade) and I notice that our barrels were marked the same except that mine did not have the word “Renegade”. He said that I may have a kit gun, but I do not think so (the four digit ser. Number does not have K in it) can anyone help with an explanation why mine is not marked “Renegade”

gimme-three-steps said:
Hi- I am new to this forum , but I really enjoy it. I may have a dumb question about my rifle, I have had it for years. It appears to be a Thompson Center Renegade. This last week-in ,I was at the range with a friend shooting our BP rifles ( he also have a Thompson Center Renegade) and I notice that our barrels were marked the same except that mine did not have the word “Renegade”. He said that I may have a kit gun, but I do not think so (the four digit ser. Number does not have K in it) can anyone help with an explanation why mine is not marked “Renegade”
In the early years, T/C did not stamp the model names on the barrels...then later on in the late 80's/early 90's I think...they began adding the word Hawken, Renegade, etc.

I've read the renegade measures 1" across the flats and the Hawkin is 15/16". The diff in barrels and lack of brass are the diff in the rifles,is that right?

Renegades all have a 1" barrel bed & tang for 1" barrels in .50/.54/.58cal.

There are actually two different size Hawken stocks...regular and large.

Regular has a 15/16" barrel bed & tang for 15/16" barrels, made for T/C's .45/.50cals;

Larger size stock has 1" barrel bed & tang for 1" barrels, made for T/C's .54cal/.58cals.
1" barrels can be interchanged between the Renegade and large size Hawken.

The Renegade has no cheek rest and has the flat steel buttplate. I prefer the 'hunter' version that has the single trigger. If you want a similar stock with the 15/16 barrel you can get a Penn Hunter or White Mountian.

P.A.

The Renegade I bought in '82 does say Renegade on the side of the barrel. Still an excellent rifle.

My Renegade came to me as a older unfired kit gun. A "K" in the serial number and "Renegade" stamped on the barrel. I have since changed the barrel to a Green Mountain and later changed the stock to a Renegade Hunter stock. Then I switched the kit gun back to as built.
End result, I have two guns. A original Renegade (the kit gun) and a Renegade Hunter (with the GM barrel). Nothing says Renegade on the Hunter version.
Confused? :)

dead give away, Renegade is a blued steel finished gun and the barrel is shorter than the hawken. I don't recall but I think 26 or 28 in the Renegade.

Back