• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IS THIS A SAFE SHOOTING BARREL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the general consensus, inspect barrel to make sure it is unloaded and fire away. I see nothing in your pics that would give me any hesitation as to whether to shoot it or not.

That's a fine looking rifle. I would verify it wasn't loaded, then run a lubed patch down the bore feeling for anything odd. Then I would have no issues shooting (as was said, one grain for every caliber, in this case 50 to start) it.

The references to markings near the breech refer to the underside of the barrel. You need to remove the barrel from the stock to check it.

If you are unfamiliar with removing the barrel from the stock get with someone who understands how to do it.

What if someone used an old Sharps barrel in this build? Or one of the newer replicas. That etching looks familiar. I could be way off.

😀

"JAM", Those are My initials!!!
Seriously! My long lost rifle I lost in a boating accident has Returned!!!!

I guess it's 'finders keepers'....

SHOOT IT!!

Thanks for the all the friendly replies and suggestions. Bought a borescope as recommended earlier and scoped it - the rifle has never been fired. Will have someone test it before I pass it on - safety is a real concern of mine - I do not shoot - just collect and preserve historical artifacts.

Really disappointed with all the negative criticism of my using caps when I first started. Read the rules and missed that part. My bad :( Rules are rules. Operated two Internet businesses for over 20 years with everything set to cap letters and never had a criticism.

I have dozens of late 1700's and early 1800's Kentucky style flintlock and cap lock rifles in my historical preservation addiction. Have never fired a one of them. Thought this forum might be a way of sharing my avocation.

No more postings - thanks again for all the friendly replies :)

@PA-OH-KY-RIFLES, with all your collection of early rifles, you probably have a lot to offer in terms of rifle architecture, patch box design, wood usage and calibers, barrel shapes that would be of great interest to members of the forum. So, perhaps no more postings on this topic of this rifle, but you have a lot to offer based on your collection.

Please do stick around. This is a great place. I agree the criticism was way over the top and repeated more than it needed to be. “Dog pile on the rabbit.” I think that part of what makes this a great place to be (the older shooters with lots of wisdom and experience) is what also sometimes goes a bit overboard. You don’t get that experience and wisdom without becoming a crotchety old fart who likes to complain about minor things. I’m 55 and well on my way to being a grump but I’m sure as heck not ready to discipline a new member to our dying hobby with my crotchety ways. Please stick around.

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE. WILL ORDER AN ENDOSCOPE FOR MY PHONE. ANY INFORMATION ON THE BARREL MAKER OR BUILDER WILL BE GREATELY APPRECIATED. ATTACHED ARE SOME PICTURES OF THE RIFLE.
That's a fine rifle. Mail it to me and I'll test fire it for about 20 years...😆

Oh look. It happened again.
Sarcastic Clap GIF by Hey Violet

Thanks for the all the friendly replies and suggestions. Bought a borescope as recommended earlier and scoped it - the rifle has never been fired. Will have someone test it before I pass it on - safety is a real concern of mine - I do not shoot - just collect and preserve historical artifacts.

Really disappointed with all the negative criticism of my using caps when I first started. Read the rules and missed that part. My bad :( Rules are rules. Operated two Internet businesses for over 20 years with everything set to cap letters and never had a criticism.

I have dozens of late 1700's and early 1800's Kentucky style flintlock and cap lock rifles in my historical preservation addiction. Have never fired a one of them. Thought this forum might be a way of sharing my avocation.

No more postings - thanks again for all the friendly replies :)
Post all you want. Just don’t make it hard to read 😜

Back