• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

is this broken or normal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 65061

new to Black Powder and really enjoying it so far!
Reaction score
i am trying to get an RMA for my 1851 from tayler&co because the cylinder does not click anymore and the pin behind the cylinder does not pop out when i cock the hammer. it is brand new and i have yet to fire it as i was getting ready to do so when i noticed the cylinder issue, while inspecting i saw what looks like broken metal on the frame, under the hammer. ill attach imgur links as the pics are HUGE when i attach them directly. so my question is, is this circular break a normal thing or is it infact broken? because the gunsmith at taylor&co says its not broken and is normal but it certaintly looks broken as it is uneven and just does not look machined. but im new to black powder and the guns so i could very well be wrong

video of the cylinder i sent to their gunsmith as well

Attachments

• 20240807_134422.mp4
    19.9 MB
The cylinder arbor is screwed into the gun's recoil shield that's the end of it under the hammer and is normal. Your issue with the cylinder is another problem. Will the cylinder lock up when the hammer is at full cock? If not, you should call Taylor & company firearms and explain it to them in better terms so that they will understand your issue.

i am trying to get an RMA for my 1851 from tayler&co because the cylinder does not click anymore and the pin behind the cylinder does not pop out when i cock the hammer. it is brand new and i have yet to fire it as i was getting ready to do so when i noticed the cylinder issue, while inspecting i saw what looks like broken metal on the frame, under the hammer. ill attach imgur links as the pics are HUGE when i attach them directly. so my question is, is this circular break a normal thing or is it infact broken? because the gunsmith at taylor&co says its not broken and is normal but it certaintly looks broken as it is uneven and just does not look machined. but im new to black powder and the guns so i could very well be wrong

Any chance you were spinning the cylinder like in the video before something broke?

The cylinder arbor is screwed into the gun's recoil shield that's the end of it under the hammer and is normal. Your issue with the cylinder is another problem. Will the cylinder lock up when the hammer is at full cock? If not, you should call Taylor & company firearms and explain it to them in better terms so that they will understand your issue.
ya they have been very good about getting back to me i just wanted a second opinion so i appecaite yalls help. the cylinder locks up sometimes with a full hammer cock and sometimes it doesnt, the smith said the same thing when he saw the video so they seem very willing to help

Looks like a piece of the hand spring. It probably fell off or broke. It got in the hammer when the the hammer came down to full rest. Then when it went to full cock it traveled up into the place in the picture.

If it is the hand spring strip it down and check it. If it is broken they can just send you a new one.

Back