• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It finally happened with my 1851

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For a while now I've read that bolt/trigger springs on the Italian cap and ball revolvers were "consumables" and break fairly often. Some claims I've read even say theirs break every couple hundred shots. I thought this was all BS, but after roughly 2.5k rounds through my Uberti the bolt spring snapped and the cylinder stopped locking up. Needless to say, new Wolff springs are on order to replace the flat spring that snapped.

Since 1972 when I bought my first Italian capper and have had eight since (still have) I've yet to break any springs on any of my Colt style cappers. Some of them have been shot hard (not abused, just alot of shooting). Same goes with three Colt style Italian made conversion revolvers. Maybe someday, but not yet. I do have extra springs on hand, but they are in hibernation as they have been for a long time.

For a while now I've read that bolt/trigger springs on the Italian cap and ball revolvers were "consumables" and break fairly often. Some claims I've read even say theirs break every couple hundred shots. I thought this was all BS, but after roughly 2.5k rounds through my Uberti the bolt spring snapped and the cylinder stopped locking up. Needless to say, new Wolff springs are on order to replace the flat spring that snapped.
I make mine from flat stainless spring stock taken out of a broken Luftkin tape some 25 years ago. Never have had one break again made from this material. I have also made them of Piano wire and have not had any breakage from that spring stock. For revolvers I prefer the first option mentioned but the steel is very tough and difficult to work which is why it never breaks.

Back