• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jimbo's Underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bald Mountain and Crackstock,

I'm using a Green Mountain barrel, so I haven't discussed the availability of the H&A barrels with him. You might want to call him to get an answer. His phone number is (253) 884 7625.

Jimbo

I can vouch for Ron Blomquist: first-rate products and great service. He fixed me up with a set of musket nipples for the .72 Kodiak double I used to shoot, and he must have had them in the mail the minute we got off the phone. Excellent nipples.

Alexander,

You could call it an Underhawk!

underhawk.jpg

Sorry, I'm not so good with Photoshop, but that would make a really nice rifle.

Jimbo

Mr. Nick
That's a standard Enfield pattern long range sight on the sidelock (Whitworth). They are nearly the same as the long range sights used on the '55 Springfields made here. They're not reversed. That was the way they all were. Late 19th Century and early 20th Cent. sights of that type were actually the ones that were turned around. ::

Jimbo you're flingin' a cravin' on me to build a mule ear rifle! First ML I ever shot was a mule ear back in '73. And you hardly ever see them anymore.
:front: ::

Jimbo, that's pretty good, that is somewhat what I had in mind though. I have quite a collection of leftover parts in my shop and their are some good Hawken parts in the collection that include an early style buttplate and triggerguard and a milled rib for a 1 1/8" barrel. I think I would do basically what you show, cut off the triggerguard at the scroll and inlet that into the stock, I would add a forearm and put a pewter tip on it. I had thought about color casing the action, but haven't decided on that yet, in truth it will probably be awhile before I get to the job since I have lots of other projects in the process right now.

Choosing the Sights 1

The Green Mountain barrels come with Williams Firesights. I have similar sights on my Omega, although I have never used them. I put a scope on it without quick detach mounts (big mistake) and never wanted to take it off and re-zero the rifle, so I never tried the open sights.

What I really have in mind for the rear is a peep sight which I could remove the aperture and hunt with the ghost ring. The problem I forsee is that the firesight on the Green Mountain is mounted a bit too far forward for the conversion. Moving the sight to the rear would lengthen the sighting plane and theoretically make the rifle more accurate.

I like the idea of the action-mounted sight.
actionpeep.jpg

I'll then mount the TC Hawken Hunter 1.5-5x from my Omega using quick release mounts
tcscope.jpg

Bruce at Glue Grouse has another solution whereby he dovetails the sight into the scope mount.
scopepeep2.jpg

I'm not crazy about this, because I don't like the high profile see thru rings. While they may be effective, I think they ruin the sleek lines that I am trying to achieve.
highprofile.jpg

Most of my deer have been shot at close range. I missed a nice buck last season with my 30-30. All I saw thru the scope was a big brown furball. By the time I sorted out which end was which, he was gone. Had I used open sights, he'd be in the freezer.

I'm thinkng my best bet would be to use the scope for power line hunting and targets, but remove it when hunting the brush.

The other problem I have to work out is that moving the sight rearward would leave an empty dovetail on the barrel, detracting from the appearance.

Maybe I'll just wait until the rifle is nearly completed. It will be much easier to visualize while standing in front of it.

Comments and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jimbo

The other problem I have to work out is that moving the sight rearward would leave an empty dovetail on the barrel, detracting from the appearance.

If I remember my conversation with Bruce correctly, He puts the dovetails in the barrels himself. Maybe you should ask him if he could sell you the barrel without a dovetail in it.

dgw and others sell a part you can slid in and fill that when not in use also i put my scope on the barrel when i change barrels t5he sights stay sighted sure didnt like that scope mount hanging over the barrel like that but thats just me. :front: :front:

jimbo,

This is how I mounted a peep on my 24" .62cal. bbl. Made out of a 3/8x24 bolt with two flats for hieght adjustment and a Merrit adjustable peep. You can remove the peep and use it as a Ghost Ring.

Peep62.jpg

FW,

I agree about the scope mount. I may need to forget the scope I have and find one with a longer eye relief to get the mount on the barrel where it belongs. Thanks for pointing that out. It also confirms that I should wait until the rifle is completed before making these decisions.

Jimbo

Bald Mtn Man,

I'm not going the custom barrel route. I'm going to order one of the Green Mountain IBS barrels. They're pre-manufactured. I'll call them and see If I can get one without the rear dovetail, but have my doubts about whether they will do that.

Jimbo

Bald Mountain Man and Crackstock,

Theres another underhammer thread in the percussion section: New Hopkins & Allen
The first post clears up some misinformation I previously posted here. Blue Grouse's supplier for the H&A kits and parts is Deer Creek, NOT Numrich (Egunparts). It also provides an explanation of why the Buggy Rifle barrels are backordered.

Jimbo

deercreeks been waiting on the barrels to come for 3 or 4 months now i put my order in that long ago and he told me then it would be about 3 to 4 months hes waiting too then he will cut them and get them out since ive got 2 mowreys and a h and a that shoot better than i can ill wait 6 more weeks

Jimbo,

Check this!

UH.jpg

This is the underhammer We built for my son, Christmas 2003!
The frame is machined and bent 1018 bar stock. We do all the work ourselves, in my buddy's shop. The inserted lockworks, is my idea. I never liked the pins, going the the frame. < Plus, if I ever can get good enough at enraving..I'll be able to dress them up some! > I was able to create a nice target weight trigger pull. Easy enough to add any extra barrels. Right now I'm fitting it with a shotgun barrel.

UH2.jpg

This one shows the double pewter pour, I did on the forearm!! ::

Not to take anything away from production guns, but if you use your imagination,,things can get done

Respect Always
Metalshaper

NOW THAT IS SOME REALLY GOOD WORK,I WOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE IT. :front: :front:

I have never heard of pewter pouring until reading about it in a knife forum where the pewter was poured directly to the knife. Now, the dumb question; is the pewter poured directly to the rifle or is a mold used? Thanks

is the pewter poured directly to the rifle or is a mold used? Thanks

Openspaces,

Just like on a knife, the forms are made on and around the parts! For the nose cap,, the barrel and forearm wood were mounted together. the paper forms were placed around and secured to them... the pewter, was poured into the open end of the form ( barrel/forearm held verticaly )

On my son's UH, the rear pour was the BUGGER! I had to have a form for the inner hammer clearance. a form to close the end off and go around the outer shape. All this and find a way to form a pouring sprue. Talk about UGLY,, my forming looked like garbage but it worked. There were only two small flaws.. I used some extra metal and a soldering iron, to flow in and fill the lil' holes.

CAUTION!! using the soldering iron, to fill a hole, takes a lil' finess..because if your hot enough to get the added metal in..your also hot enough to slough off the edge your trying to fill!!

Hope this helps!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Is it necessary to place something over the wood so the liquid pewter doesn't scorch it. Thanks

Latest posts

Back