• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just an observation about muzzle loading, in general

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFeather

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I read a lot of forums besides the ML's. Mostly airgun and rimfire. It seems the folks on those boards live to do nothing but tear down and "improve" their guns to death. If they aren't completely replacing all parts of the "same gun", then they are arguing ballistics and all manner of mathmatical theory with the Holy Grail being a perfect ten shot single hole at 200 yards. Even the chunk gun enthusiasts pale by comparison. I find myself coming back here to see what's happening in the real world. It has made me really appreciate this forum and the poeple who contribute to it! Thanks be that there's a shooting sport where the emphasis is still on the shooting!

And I will take it one step further and add that the muzzleloading group is just about the nicest and most helpful bunch of folks you will find anywhere. I very seldom run into a muzzleloader lover that won't help, teach or just BS with someone and just because they love the sport and want to see it grow.
soooo, Huzzah to the black pwoder shooters. :thumbsup:

Well come back in the real world, my son :winking: The boy(s) are back in town
:hatsoff:

RedFeather said:
I read a lot of forums besides the ML's. Mostly airgun and rimfire. It seems the folks on those boards live to do nothing but tear down and "improve" their guns to death. If they aren't completely replacing all parts of the "same gun", then they are arguing ballistics and all manner of mathmatical theory with the Holy Grail being a perfect ten shot single hole at 200 yards. Even the chunk gun enthusiasts pale by comparison. I find myself coming back here to see what's happening in the real world. It has made me really appreciate this forum and the poeple who contribute to it! Thanks be that there's a shooting sport where the emphasis is still on the shooting!
Unless it's on PC guns & gear... :blah: :v :v

Have fun here. :thumbsup:

Improve on the flintlock longrifle?? How can you improve on perfection?? :winking:

I thought about it some more. The only way to improve them is to get another one. :rotf:

Sir, you are 100 percent correct.
I have fired all kinds of weaponry and the most fun are the black powder muzzleloaders!

Griz said:
And I will take it one step further and add that the muzzleloading group is just about the nicest and most helpful bunch of folks you will find anywhere. I very seldom run into a muzzleloader lover that won't help, teach or just BS with someone and just because they love the sport and want to see it grow.
soooo, Huzzah to the black pwoder shooters. :thumbsup:

I agree 100%

When I go to the public shooting range the guys you see talking, introducing themselves, shaking hands, sharing information, sharing tools/supplies are all muzzleloaders.

The other crowd mostly comes, shoots, and leaves without saying a word to anyone.

Occasionally one of them will ask about what you're shooting and you offer it to them to hold/look at and shoot it and when you do that you almost always get the same reaction like "that is so cool" or "man, I need one of those" and if a couple more guys buy a muzzleloader then hopefully our sport will live on forever.

HD

i always take an extra rifle to every bp match i attend. you can almost always talk somebody into giving it a try. then their hooked. HA HA HA HA, my plan for bp world domination is working.

Huntin Dawg said:
When I go to the public shooting range the guys you see talking, introducing themselves, shaking hands, sharing information, sharing tools/supplies are all muzzleloaders.
That's 'cause we need so much extra manure... err... "Possibles" that somebody's always forgetting somthing. And if we don't share, we don't shoot. :grin:
The other crowd mostly comes, shoots, and leaves without saying a word to anyone.
Unless someone has a particularly impresive/loud toy. :haha:
Occasionally one of them will ask about what you're shooting and you offer it to them to hold/look at and shoot it and when you do that you almost always get the same reaction like "that is so cool" or "man, I need one of those" and if a couple more guys buy a muzzleloader then hopefully our sport will live on forever.
Which, when taken with the point above, is a good reason for touching off a few "magnum" loads when in the presence of cartridge guys. They will learn to use light loads soon enough - but it is the "big boom" - especially coming off a well tuned/fast rocklock - that will catch their attention. :hmm:

I do too. I take two or three rifles and usually only shoot one, unless....

That's exactly how I got sucked into the ML vortex. I'd watched the comp at our club off and on for a few years, been offered a spare gun to compete every time but declined. Eventually I succumbed and here I am.
Smokey

I used to shoot IPSC, three gun matches and modern military rife comps. Everyone that shot those never talked much about their loads and gear since it was supposed to be a secret so you could get a leg up on someone. Smokepole shooters want everyone to know what they're doing so that everyone will be as equal as possible and let the weapon and skill do the talking. It's really a more laid back fun loving group from what I see.

I love to teach people all about guns and it thrills me when they naturally take to muzzleloaders which many do...I teach a lot of kids, teenagers and adults, everybody I can, everybody that cares to try...the biggest support for the anti gunners comes from ignorance...

Quote: "Thanks be that there's a shooting sport where the emphasis is still on the shooting!"

Which shooting sport is that, RedFeather? If I take HuntinDawg's post seriously, this sport is mainly about talking. And, as we've all learned on this site, once the BS'ing starts it's best to stop shooting...if we want to avoid costly mistakes. So if we're talking we're not shooting.

There seems to be a contradiction buried in this thread. Eveyone's so busy patting themselves on the back that no one's noticed.

Now if you said: "Thanks be that there's a shooting sport where the emphasis is on talking about shooting!", it would at least be logical. :blah:
Bob

P.S. Don't get mad, Red. I would've picked on HuntinDawg, but he's the moderator. :bow:

short_start said:
Quote: "Thanks be that there's a shooting sport where the emphasis is still on the shooting!"

Which shooting sport is that, RedFeather? If I take HuntinDawg's post seriously, this sport is mainly about talking. And, as we've all learned on this site, once the BS'ing starts it's best to stop shooting...if we want to avoid costly mistakes. So if we're talking we're not shooting.

There seems to be a contradiction buried in this thread. Eveyone's so busy patting themselves on the back that no one's noticed.

Now if you said: "Thanks be that there's a shooting sport where the emphasis is on talking about shooting!", it would at least be logical. :blah:
Bob

P.S. Don't get mad, Red. I would've picked on HuntinDawg, but he's the moderator. :bow:

Pick away. You won't hurt my feelings.

I think you are looking at what I said in the wrong light.
I didn't mean we are out BS'ing and not paying attention to our shooting. We are out there enjoying our sport and sharing it with others.

Why do people go to shoots and rondy's? :hmm:

I don't think you make a good point here.

HD

Latest posts

Back