• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just Attended Bag Making Class at Log Cabin Shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougMPhoto

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What a great class. 12 students in attendance.

Dean Freund brought his knowledge and skill to the Log Cabin Shop and my brother and I walked out with handmade bags.

Started out with choosing a piece of leather, cutting it, choosing threads, designing the bag, stitching and working the leather, making the strap with buckle and finishing off with dyeing.

It was a great class, I learned a lot about working with leather and plan on making a few bags now.

Thanks to Ian Pratt for having the class and to Dean for teaching so well.

I would recommend to anyone wanting to build their own bag.

:hatsoff: Good for you!!! I have been wanting to take some of their classes myself, but my work schedules has always been getting in the way...maybe some day. :(

Doug,
Is it a one day course? I am about 2 hours
away and would not want to stay over. What was the cost?
snake-eyes:hmm:

It was a one day class. 35.00. I was at his other bag seminar in march. He just told about the bag making. Dilly

I wish it wasn't so far away from here. I would like to go to some of their classes.

Got any pics? Let's see that bag!

It was a one day class...$35 and it included all material for the bag. No stayover required. I am 3 hours away, glad I made the trip.

Will take photos next day or so and get it up on site.

You probably met a young man from our church there; Todd Gordon. He was there and really enjoyed the class. I have been working on him and his two sons to get interested in Buckskinning. I gave them a four year supply of old Muzzle Blasts that they read and then frowarded to another boy in their scout troop.We need to get more young people started in buckskinning or we will not have events to go to other than old buckskinners funerals.

Here's some pics of my bag. This was made in class and stained to make it look aged. About 4 hours total build time.
shootingbag_003.jpg
shootingbag_002.jpg
shootingbag_008.jpg

Thanks...it's a small shooting bag about 6x7. These photos were taken when it was just done drying. I just applied leather conditioner to it and it is softening up real nice.

Good lookin' bag. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing the pics.

Did they give you a choice of patterns or does everyone build the same bags?

Thanks.

There were 12 in the class so the bags were about the same size. This was just so everyone was at about the same place while the day progressed.

He had a book of patterns but we didn't get to it, because of the class size. He was talking about reducing the class to 8 to make it easier to pick a design and work it.

However, we got to choose the basic bag and flap design, the bag corners (square, rounded, clipped, etc), the type of thread used pre-waxed, unwaxed linen, etc). We cut our own leather, measured for the strap, did the work then stained them ourselves.

All in all, very informative and fun. It took all of the 8 hours (9-5) for everyone to finish.
Time was spent learning about the bags carried, how to work the leather, everyone cutting their own leather. We all measured and cut our own threads (3 types 6 yards each). We helped each other measure for the straps. So a lot of sharing, learning and helping during the day.

PAmuzzleloader,

Thank you for the kind words and excellent description of the class. Maybe we can create another "level" to allow more exploration and creativity in STYLING the bag based on pictorial evidence of past bags.

To teach is to learn twice.

Dean Freund

Dean aka twohearts...welcome to the forum and thank you for the class. Let me know when you are having another or maybe come to Pittsburgh to do one.

Doug (from Pittsburgh)

Mule Brain...just checked on Mapquest and you are only 18 1/2 hours (one way) from Lodi. Shouldn't be a problem attending a class

Back