• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just bought a Pietta 1851 Navy in .36, what do I need to know?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't happen from that.

That's BS as #10 CCI's won't.

#11 CCI caps are the same size as #10 Remington caps as well as are RWS 1075's . ("size" means nothing from brand to brand!!! These guys are perpetuating b.s.!!!) !!!

Mike
It's amazing what people that DON'T know will tell you!!!
A chainfire does happen through the nipples. I tried it once. Capped only one nipple. One on each side fired. All I used was powder,wad and lube pill. Compressd the powder with the wad. The capped one had a ball. I wouldn't pinch caps, they might fall off. Although I've done it in a pinch.

It doesn't happen from that.

That's BS as #10 CCI's won't.

#11 CCI caps are the same size as #10 Remington caps as well as are RWS 1075's . ("size" means nothing from brand to brand!!! These guys are perpetuating b.s.!!!) !!!

Mike
It's amazing what people that DON'T know will tell you!!!
Well I'll say this, when I ran out of #10 Remington caps, #11 CCI's wouldn't seat as firmly on my Pietta factory nipples. So I ordered replacements. Others have said the same thing. Your milage may vary.

Cci #11 and Remington #10 both fall right off all 4 of my pietta pistols.
Got to pinch those to keep them on factory nipples.

#11 CCI and #10 Remingtons are the same size eh? Not from my experience they are not. And judging from this video. I think I'll continue to use caps that properly and tightly fit the nipples in my revolvers. I think a chain fire could come from either end of the cylinder. We could beat this dead horse forever but the fact remains if either end can get an ignition source to that power charge, boom.

Well I'll say this, when I ran out of #10 Remington caps, #11 CCI's wouldn't seat as firmly on my Pietta factory nipples. So I ordered replacements. Others have said the same thing. Your milage may vary.

Well, yeah . . . it might but the point IS . . . #10's or #11's aren't the same ACROSS THE BOARD!!!!! It depends upon the maker !!!!!!
#10 CCI's don't "fit" much of ANYTHING THESE DAYS !!! DIG!!!!!!?

Mike

Well, yeah . . . it might but the point IS . . . #10's or #11's aren't the same ACROSS THE BOARD!!!!! It depends upon the maker !!!!!!
#10 CCI's don't "fit" much of ANYTHING THESE DAYS !!! DIG!!!!!!?

Mike
Guess I missed your book on the best seller list. DIG????

A chainfire does happen through the nipples. I tried it once. Capped only one nipple. One on each side fired. All I used was powder,wad and lube pill. Compressd the powder with the wad. The capped one had a ball. I wouldn't pinch caps, they might fall off. Although I've done it in a pinch.

And I know a guy that did several tests with a fully loaded cyl using 1 cap at a time and NEVER had a chain fire!!!! SO THERE !!!!!
How do you know yours didn't happen from the front?!!!! You don't have to have a cap on the nipple for it to happen from the front!!

Mike

#11 CCI and #10 Remingtons are the same size eh? Not from my experience they are not. And judging from this video. I think I'll continue to use caps that properly and tightly fit the nipples in my revolvers. I think a chain fire could come from either end of the cylinder. We could beat this dead horse forever but the fact remains if either end can get an ignition source to that power charge, boom.

#11 CCI's (which are attainable and I have a good supply of) fit perfectly on sliXshots on both of my Colt replicas. Switched and didn't look back. I don't think we were spreading BS do you? Just what has worked for us. Maybe that other guy should field all questions from now on since he is all knowing? šŸ¤£

#11 CCI's (which are attainable and I have a good supply of) fit perfectly on sliXshots on both of my Colt replicas. Switched and didn't look back. I don't think we were spreading BS do you? Just what has worked for us. Maybe that other guy should field all questions from now on since he is all knowing? šŸ¤£
I don't think we were spreading BS at all. All I can do on these forums is relay my experiences as others did for me years ago when I got started. I burn black powder out of a revolver, BPCR, or a long gun at least twice a week. So those experiences I talk about happen often. I know CCI 11's, Rem 10's, and RWS1075 (new stock) fit slix shot nipples. #10 Remingtons fit stock pietta nipples the best. At least all the Pietta's I have around here. I do my very best to ensure I have BOTH ends of the cylinder sealed up as best as I can. I've never had a chain fire, knock on wood. i hope to never have one.

Yea, luck of the draw with CCI No. 10ā€™s. No consistency whatever. Remington number tens will snap right on a stock Pietta cone, every time.

Some of the ever-so-helpful ā€œadvisorsā€ here sound as if they have even less experience than OP chiphas noteeth.

I don't think we were spreading BS at all. All I can do on these forums is relay my experiences as others did for me years ago when I got started. I burn black powder out of a revolver, BPCR, or a long gun at least twice a week. So those experiences I talk about happen often. I know CCI 11's, Rem 10's, and RWS1075 (new stock) fit slix shot nipples. #10 Remingtons fit stock pietta nipples the best. At least all the Pietta's I have around here. I do my very best to ensure I have BOTH ends of the cylinder sealed up as best as I can. I've never had a chain fire, knock on wood. i hope to never have one.
Agreed. A side bonus of the SS nipples, at least for me(don't wanna upset the expert guy), I haven't had a cap jam since switching. I appreciate any advice I get on here. Don't care for the rude behavior of some folks though.

Cci #11 and Remington #10 both fall right off all 4 of my pietta pistols.
Got to pinch those to keep them on factory nipples.
most likely variances in production. No doubt aftermarket nipples are a good upgrade for any cap and ball. Slix shot, tresso's, etc. I'm stuck on slix shot. They are a great cone.

Agreed. A side bonus of the SS nipples, at least for me(don't wanna upset the expert guy), I haven't had a cap jam since switching. I appreciate any advice I get on here. Don't care for the rude behavior of some folks though.
Mike is a dang good smith on these charcoal burners. His input is welcome and we can have a discussion thats what we are here for. The subject of chain fires is like patch lube, ford vs. chevy, politics, etc. It can get spicy :D

Mike is a dang good smith on these charcoal burners. His input is welcome and we can have a discussion thats what we are here for. The subject of chain fires is like patch lube, ford vs. chevy, politics, etc. It can get spicy :D
I'll take your word for it amigo. Robust debate is one thing, coming across like a, well......you know. Different story.

Doesn't affect me either way, lol, I haven't shot bp in over 20 yrs but I know cap sizes from maker to maker aren't the same!!
How one "comes across" is how one "receives it" . . .

Mike
Good to know

Back