• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just bought a Pietta 1851 Navy in .36, what do I need to know?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That did the trick, thank you so much! I just have one question now - does the wedge have to protrude out of the right side of the barrel? Mine isn't even poking out or flush at all, it stops JUST before being flush with the barrel. Is that a safety issue at all? It came from the factory not flush as well
No sir. As long as the wedge is firmly seated and you can still rotate the cylinder in half-cock position (.002-.003 clearance between forcing cone and cylinder) you are good to go.

Actually, if someone is deepening the hammer sight, they must be burying the front sight don't ya think?

Yep, you would have to mill down the top of the hammer and deepen the notch to get it to work.

Its why if possible its easier to do the front sight (raise it in this case)

Smokerr,
You must not have read where I am only cleaning up, at the least and only just deepening the V notch a 1/16 at the most. There is no need to mill any part of the hammer. Please keep in mind that this is just what I do on my Colt replicas. There are lots of different things you can do to accomplish what I do.
This is just an inexpensive way to correct a sighting issue.
Old Shepherd

Ernbar,
Thank you for sharing the information about the small brass rod. You just helped me figure out a cheap and easy way to replace a missing front sight bead on my Howda pistol.
Old Shepherd

Yep, you would have to mill down the top of the hammer and deepen the notch to get it to work.

Its why if possible its easier to do the front sight (raise it in this case)

You can raise the front sight of course and I do that by installing a '72 Open Top front sight on my '60 Uberti's.
Deepening the notch though doesn't mean you do away with any of the hammer material that is the existing rear sight. "Burying the sight" is just knowing "WHERE" to place the top of the front sight in the rear notch.

20240819_143456.jpg

Fixed sights aren't necessarily a "single" sight-picture apparatus.

Mike

Back