• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just by my first BP and have ? on patch for PRB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strand

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased my first BP rifle and .54 hawken and I have a very basic question. Beings I am a newby and have only shot a BP rifle twice I was wondering what size the patch should be for a .530 roundball, I purchased some .018 pillow ticking from Cabelas tonight as I have read a lot of good things about it.

Thanks guys for bearing with me you have helped answer a lot of questions, I greatly appreciate it!!!

It sounds like you have a usable starting point there with a .530 ball and .018 patch in yer .54. If you find that it loads too tight, try a slightly thinner patch material, just make sure it's cotton. I doubt you will find the ball too loose, but if you do, try denim-it's about the thickest you'll find easily. It's cheaper to try different patch thicknesses for a given ball diameter than trying different ball sizes for one patch thickness, that's for sure! Have you given consideration to a lube yet? As long as it comes from a moose, it should be just fine. :crackup:

strand,
i personally use a .015 patch with a .530 R/B in my hawken .54. i feel in my gun that it is shooting as well as i am capable of shooting it.(2 to 3" groups at 50yds.) i to use moose snot as a patch lube. its really a matter of trial and error because every gun is different. good luck and have fun.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
snake-eyes :results: :peace: :) :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. Now, how big do you guys cut the patches out of the piece of ticking, I was thinking about 1.5x1.5" or so and where do I get the "moose snot" lube or where do I get the supplies to make it. Have you guys used bore butter or is that a thick lube that I should shy away from.

Thank you.

1-1/4" square is plenty big for .54 cal. That's how I cut mine and it is maybe a little too much.

Dave

many people on this forum use bore butter in thier gun with no problems .stumpy's moose recipes are are in several threads in this forumjust search for the forums under the title of "lube wars".you can get beeswax from hobby lobby or www.[url] beekeepers.com[/url] ,castor oil from any pharmacy /drug storeand murphys oil soap at any store .the only thing you may have trouble finding is getting premission from the mrs.to use her kitchen :: :haha: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
:agree: I find it interesting you also use Denim or have used it. We use Denim mostly, here in B.C., and seemingly, it is used across Canada. When my bro won the Canadian Nationals way back when, many people in Ontario, (where they were held those years) were also using Denim rather than the single weave bed or pillow ticking.
: We like denim because it holds more lube, & therefore seems to shoot cleaner. As well, it is very tough for it's thickness due to it's locked stitch.
: LUBES!! Another lube that seems to work well is LeHigh Valley lube, sold by www.trackofthewolf.com and other places. It is a thin, oil-type lube and is better suited to cold temps than the greases, like thick Moose Snot.
: Thin Moose Snot, from early in the "cold" cycle - runny nose stuff, also works well in cold weather.

Back